Talk

Advanced search

DD hates one of my boobs .

(12 Posts)
Comewhinewithme Wed 08-Jul-09 19:30:25

DD is almost 6 weeks old . She is fully BF and doing really well putting on lots of weight and sleeping from 10pm until 5am most nights .

However over the past coiple of days she has been getting quite distressed on my right boob she pulls off or gasps and chokes then cries . She then tries to latch back on but seems to slip off until I latch her on.

My boobs are not sore and I can see she is getting lots of milk so what is wrong with her ?

She is fine on my other boob BTW .

TIA .

Comewhinewithme Wed 08-Jul-09 19:30:56

Sorry for typos feeding blush.

Comewhinewithme Wed 08-Jul-09 19:41:00

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 08-Jul-09 19:44:54

Strong let-down maybe? No expert but I know that I nearly drowned DD in the early days, and she did have a boob preference.

Could try hand expressing just enough to let the pressure off (I did this into a muslin) and then let her latch on. Also underarm feeding helped a bit, or lying down.

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 08-Jul-09 19:49:38

My dd had a strong preference for my left boob... I was told by BF counsellor that it is quite common for right handed people to be slightly more "awkward" in holding at the right boob (especially in the cradle hold) and vice versa. If you have a particularly fussy dc, the slightly dodgy angle can make a difference.

Rugby hold and lying down to feed both helped. Once I started expressing, I also used to make sure I took more from right boob to even things out.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 08-Jul-09 19:50:07

I had a faster letdown on one side than the other and ds preferred that one which left us in a catch 22 situation because that one stayed faster and got engorged far easier because ds preferred it.
Or it could be the complete opposite like Rhinestone said and the letdown is too fast on one side and she isn't liking it I did drown both of mine in the early days and as I felt let down used to grab a muslin to mop it up then pop them back on.

janek Wed 08-Jul-09 20:04:04

my dd2 prefers the left side, which is a shame because i prefer the right... i think she may have been a bit bent out of shape in the womb, because she likes to lie with her head facing right (as you would feeding from the left breast too), so i sometimes have to feed her rugby ball style at the right one, so she can maintain her favourite position. she is 8 months and i've only just worked this out though...

also, up until she was 15 weeks she was really fussy on the right hand side, then i discovered she had an ear infection, so it may have been quite uncomfortable for her, as well as not her favourite position anyway.

and she gets furious when i spray milk all over her, but that happens with both sides.

Schnullerbacke Wed 08-Jul-09 22:40:14

I had this with DD1, saw an Osteopath to do some sacral-cranio work on her and it was resolved after one session. Good luck.

AcademicMum Wed 08-Jul-09 22:49:53

I had this too. Ds2 prefered the right side. For the first 6 months, it was still possible to get him to feed from both sides but he was just more reluctant on the left, then after that whenever I was out I would only feed him on the right so I could get him latched on quickly and easily, I'd then compensate for this by feeding on the other side when I got home and/or expressing to relieve discomfort. Then at about 7 months I had to stay with ds2 overnight in hospital. They wouldn't let me feed him and "forgot" to loan me a pump for about 7 hours or so. During this time the left side got really engorged and the supply seemed to almost dry up after that on that side. I just gave up even trying to feed from that side after a while and fed exclusively from the prefered side till 13 months. I was a bit lopsided for a while, but even this sorted itself out after a bit.

Never did find out what was "wrong" with the left side, but even now ds2 prefers to be cuddled with his head to my right hand side, so I think it was just his prefered position more than anything else.

BottySpottom Wed 08-Jul-09 23:07:36

My first two had different preferences for different boobs. Could it be uncomfortable for her? Have you had any cranial osteopathy? Maybe she came out squashed and one side is more uncomfortable for her.

Comewhinewithme Thu 09-Jul-09 09:42:12

Thanks for all the advice . She was in a funny position in the womb and very squashed so maybe that is a factor.
However she coughed and spluttered on the other side this morning and my milk is spraying everywhere hmm.
I have spoken to the BF advisor and she thinks because dd is having a growth spurt (constant evening feeding at the beginning of the week ) my milk has gone into overdrive and we now have loads !
I feel sorry for her as she is getting upset but have never really felt the letdown so can't pull her off in time to save her from geting a massive mouthfull.
Obviously he more she goes on my boob the more milk is been produced so do I just have to wait for her to control it herself ?

BottySpottom Thu 09-Jul-09 11:56:28

Would a nipple cover help (can't remember what they are called - those rubbery things to protect sore nipples)? You might end up a bit drenched, but it may prevent her from an eyeful.

I know I ended up looking really silly with one permanently large boob and one tiny one grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now