Talk

Advanced search

Food and drink when breastfeeding - bf experts this way please!

(10 Posts)
christiana Wed 08-Jul-09 17:12:59

Message withdrawn

tiktok Wed 08-Jul-09 17:16:56

Babies fart.

Babies burp.

They do this because they are babies.

It does not bother them (usually) . They have no manners

It is (unsually) unrelated to maternal diet.

Cutting out all dairy is very difficult - why bother?

You do not need to eat anything special or avoid anything or take supplements. Moderate drinking is harmless. I don't know what can stop you eating so much

There are many threads on all these questions on mumsnet - try searching alcohol and breastfeeding for more details about wine and bf

NotSoRampantRabbit Wed 08-Jul-09 17:21:03

Was just about to ask if there is any actual evidence that giving up dairy and medicinal red wine makes babies more comfortable/less windy...

Am finding day 2 of no dairy fairly hideous. Farty dd 4 weeks tom.

christiana Wed 08-Jul-09 17:31:51

Message withdrawn

christiana Wed 08-Jul-09 18:50:26

Message withdrawn

christiana Wed 08-Jul-09 18:51:37

Message withdrawn

tiktok Wed 08-Jul-09 23:47:15

No.....really? What utter rubbish. The HV must have no idea how the body works. How do bubbles from the carbonated water get from your stomach to the breastmilk??

Do ask her, wont you?

weegiemum Wed 08-Jul-09 23:50:59

grin at fizzy breastmilk!

moondog Wed 08-Jul-09 23:53:15

Christ, the idiocy of these people plumbs greater depths .
HV needs shooting.

GreenMonkies Wed 08-Jul-09 23:55:41

I went without dairy for 18 months, it was horrible at first but I got used to it, and to have a calm, non-colic-ridden baby that wasn't doing explosive green slimy poos and screaming from silent reflux when put down made it worth it.

But farts alone are not enough to suggest a dairy intolerance, babies with cows milk protein intolerance (and it's the protein, not lactose they are reacting to) also tend to have reflux, eczema, acute colic, explosive green slimy poo, and or blood in the poo/slime.

Wind is nasty, but can be eased by tummy rubbing, leg cycling and regular burping. I wouldn't stress about dairy etc unless it's really nasty and has other symptoms.

Nothing wrong with a glass of wine, tis a myth you can't drink when bf.

Enjoy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now