Talk

Advanced search

very fussy feeding 10 wk old.

(9 Posts)
staryeyed Wed 08-Jul-09 16:40:08

Ds2 is getting increasingly fussy on boobs. He often cries and throws his arms about and feeding is becoming very frustrating for both of us. Its happening more frequently as time goes on. He also isnt sleeping well waking almost hourly at night and is extremely windy and cries sometimes with the pain of the wind. Before I had red nipples with a bit of itching and ds2 has had a slight white coating on tongue someone on here suggested thrush so we went to doctor who prescribed drops for DS2 and caneston for me and we have finished course of drops but it has made no difference to DS tongue. I still have red nipples but they are not painful or itchy. Is it something other than thrush or should I go back to doctors for more thrush treatment. Also did try colief but I find it hard to express and it was such a faff that I kept forgetting to do it. Any ideas?

staryeyed Wed 08-Jul-09 17:19:42

Also as he gets fussy on boob I switch sides as he doesnt want to ggo back to the same one. Is that wrong?

ladyhelen2 Wed 08-Jul-09 20:12:52

Bumping for you.

No advice I'm afraid but I hope you find some answers. I'm mixed feeding and I think my supply is decreasing as my DS does the same after sort of fussing after about 10 mins. Hope you get it sorted.

staryeyed Thu 09-Jul-09 10:54:32

DS2 just did a poo and then was straining to do more bt didn't and screamed the place down and didn't stop crying for quite some time. Im not sure what to do to do to help him.

helpivegottogivebirth Thu 09-Jul-09 11:36:32

he might be constipated?

CoteDAzur Thu 09-Jul-09 16:35:06

This sounds like 7 week old DS. I thought breastfed babies weren't constipated?

staryeyed Thu 09-Jul-09 17:09:52

I dont know coteDAzur I thought that too. He is so gassy and uncomgortable most of the time and his fats smell like cabbage or sometimes drains which isnt normal for bf babies either I dont think.

Rosy Thu 09-Jul-09 22:12:55

Hi Staryeyed. Sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time with your ds at the moment. You could try looking at the Breastfeeding Network website for more info on thrush to see if you think your thrush has been treated properly - another course of treatment is sometimes necessary. Is your baby's tongue white all the time, even quite a while after he's fed? If he does still have thrush in his mouth, that could be making it uncomfortable for him to feed, and hence the fussing at the breast.

On his digestion, what colour are his poos? You'd expect a baby who was bf'ing effectively to have bright yellow nappies. If they're greenish that may be a sign that he's getting too much foremilk (with the frequent switching between breasts) which could be making him windy & uncomfortable too.

You could try phoning the NCT BF line to get some more ideas - the number will be on the website. Hope things get better for you soon.

staryeyed Fri 10-Jul-09 22:00:46

His tongue is white all the time and has been since I can remember the midwife commented when she did her home visit bu tthoughtit was just milk residue. Hi spoos are normal colour but have gone from explosive liquid to more solid poos aboutevery 4/5 days. I will try NCT I gto very good advice before when I was having latching problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now