Talk

Advanced search

Can you wear out an Avent Isis manual pump?

(14 Posts)
Swaliswan Wed 08-Jul-09 14:08:09

That's it really. Just wondering because my pump is rather well used and I seem to be getting a few problems with maintaining the suction all of the time despite checking that everything is in the right place in particular the little white bit (you'll know what I mean if you have an isis).

bella21 Wed 08-Jul-09 14:25:13

Yes, I remember the little white bit grin You might have a teeny puncture somewhere that's preventing you getting suction. I seem to remember getting spares from mine from Avent.

HTH

madwomanintheattic Wed 08-Jul-09 14:28:16

you should have got a spare little white bit lol.

i used mine for about 23 months all told, but didn't need to change it though - it was still going strong...

you can get spare flexi boob bits too if you think there might be a suction/ fitting problem at the boob end lol.

(i have no idea if that made sense or not)

madwomanintheattic Wed 08-Jul-09 14:29:11

i mean there should have been one in the packet (a spare), not that 'you should have got one' in a school-marm ticky off way... blush

Swaliswan Wed 08-Jul-09 14:36:55

LOL madwoman!

I'm not sure where my spare white bit is (now that's a phrase I never thought I'd say!) as we're onto DC2 now. The inevitable losing of said white bit will happen when you end up storing stuff but throwing away the original box hmm

belgo Wed 08-Jul-09 14:43:59

They can crack, maybe there is a very small crack somewhere that's causing the loss of suction?

I never found them to have particularly good suction anyway.

bella21 Wed 08-Jul-09 14:44:17

I think I got a free white bit from Avent. Just phone them up and ask for a white bit. They probably have one person working full time taking calls for new white bits grin

madwomanintheattic Wed 08-Jul-09 14:44:44

ah <preens> i stored mine through 3 dcs and 4 house moves <preens some more> in the original box blush

that said, i have absolutely no idea what i did with it after dd2... none at all. none whatsoever.

i'm moving house in 3 weeks - i bet i find a box of dusty baby stuff in the garage. ulp. shock (she's 5!)

i'll let you know if i find a small white bit lol. it'll be vintage y'know. (the unused one, natch wink)

thirdname Wed 08-Jul-09 15:00:22

I have a used one if you want it (I think it's in a box...)

Swaliswan Wed 08-Jul-09 19:20:53

When we move house and have all of our belongings under one roof again, I'll probably find the spare white bit amongst some other unused baby bits (bottles, dummy etc). Until then, I have the excuse of having belongings in three separate places.

Thanks thirdname, but I think that I'll scrounge a free one off of Avent. It will serve them right for making a pump that can come apart into so many tiny pieces. Why didn't I accept the offer of a free loan of a hospital pump when I started donating EBM?!

Bumperslucious Wed 08-Jul-09 19:42:33

I had so many problems with my Isis and the little white bit. It kept popping through the hole. I badgered and badgered them and in the end they sent me a duck bill shaped vent that they use on the electric pumps and it never happened again. They said it must be that my breast milk had too high a fat content which was eroding the silicon or making it slippery or something hmm. Obviously it was my fault hmm

Other than the vent though it is a fab pump, and I have tried about 4 different ones. I bought a tommee tippee closer to nature one when I was having probs with my Isis but sent it back to the manufacturers as it was shite.

stainesmassif Wed 08-Jul-09 20:02:15

the manual is even better than the electric imo, i get much more out with it....and have laboured with the electric for 6 months -only got manual to take to work!

acebaby Wed 08-Jul-09 21:09:19

used mine for almost 3 years. It was held together by sellotape in the end (after DS1 turned 2, I only pumped for comfort when working away overnight so didn't have to worry about sterilising). I treated myself to a new one when DS2 was born and it's rubbish. Can't pump anything out at all. It looks the same as the old one but just isn't as good sad. I am reduced to hand expressing in the shower.

I think avent have changed something in the design. Either that or I have lost my touch!

Swaliswan Thu 09-Jul-09 22:05:44

Thanks everyone.

I figure that it can't be too bad as I managed to easily get 6 oz off in about 10 minutes from one boob this morning. I was ridiculously happy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now