Talk

Advanced search

Uh Oh, GMTV and Lorraine and breastfeeding in public...

(69 Posts)
peppapighastakenovermylife Wed 08-Jul-09 07:57:41

Waiting for this to go wrong...So far GMTV are strangely trying to be positive with lots of comments about how women shouldnt feel embarrassed and its the most natural thing (saying that Penny wasnt there).

They are misquoting statistics wildly saying 2/3 of women dont ever breastfeed in public - rather than saying 2/3 of women who responded to the survey - which targeted negative experiences of breastfeeing - did not do so.

Anyway, apparently Lorraine is going to be discussing it on her show...there are lots of comments waiting for her...

Cynical me? grin

wahwah1270 Wed 08-Jul-09 08:08:21

what ridiculous comments

peppapighastakenovermylife Wed 08-Jul-09 08:13:42

Ah, there we go - the obligatory 'I didnt breastfeed but dont understand why women just dont express and bottle feed in public'.

Because its that simple isnt it hmm

SusieDerkins Wed 08-Jul-09 08:17:08

Gaaaaaaaaahh.

<punches Lorraine Kelly>

This kind of ill informed, bullshit twaddle really really pisses me off.

Why does she even open her mouth on something for which she clearly has zero understanding or empathy.

<punch punch punch>

Northernlurker Wed 08-Jul-09 08:18:06

Why is it ok for the media to discuss breastfeeding like it's an optional extra? There would (quite rightly) be an outcry if bottlefeeding was debated in this way - like people have a right to object to it!

peppapighastakenovermylife Wed 08-Jul-09 08:24:39

True Northernlurker - you wouldnt have a feature where messages were read out telling women who formula fed to go do it in the toilet as it was offensive to some people would you

DISCLAIMER - I do not feel this way about formula lol.

I would put bets on it being interesting with Lorraine - she giggled like a school girl when they said the word 'breastfeeding'.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 08-Jul-09 08:24:48

I can feel my annoyance levels rising just from reading about it on here, I am glad I missed it.

StealthPolarBear Wed 08-Jul-09 08:26:17

That's a good point NL and something I've been wondering (but not so articulately!) for a while. It's like everyone and his dog is entitled to an opinion on breastfeeding (which of course they are) but you don't need to have thought it through in any sort of rational way to get it aired or to be considered valid.

Not watching this but will be watching this thread!

peppapighastakenovermylife Wed 08-Jul-09 08:31:19

Getting it from all sides now - a comment from someone telling women to 'grow up' if they are too embarrassed to feed in public. Again, helpful hmm

Deemented Wed 08-Jul-09 08:32:16

It'll be on in a few mins. I took a nosey over to the comments board on GMTV and was shocked, tbh... seems that it's ok to get yer tits out for the lads, but god help you if you use them for what they where actually intended for....

Maninadirndl Wed 08-Jul-09 08:38:14

Well as a British man living in Germany may I give my view?

Here in Germany this discussion might never take place as they aren't that hung up on this topic here. I can't believe in Britain they send women to the toilet for this, how sick is that? Priority is your baby and her or his needs. If I was a woman I'd simply get on with it and if anyone commented say "I am sorry my baby needs a feed urgently.". My wife gave Titty Time in public here discreetly whenever needed and it simply wasn't an issue here.

peppapighastakenovermylife Wed 08-Jul-09 08:38:33

Comments are quite positive at the moment from what I can see

here

idunnop Wed 08-Jul-09 09:00:22

I must say I am always mystified whenever this debate comes up. I bf DD up to the age of 13 months pretty much everywhere (buses, parks, planes, shops, cafes, etc etc) and have never been asked to move, never noticed any disapproving stares or tuts and genuinely never noticed any negative reaction at all. Maybe I'm just oblivious to it all though, as clearly some people do feel quite strongly about it. I would say I'm quite discrete though - I don't use shawls etc but also I doubt many people glimpse much flesh!

Dalrymps Wed 08-Jul-09 09:21:01

The 'why can't women express the milk before they go out' comment made by blood boil. Why the f*ck would anyone do that when the milk is right there is your breasts? what a waste of flipping time! What the hell is wrong with these people????

Arrggghhh! (pg and very hormonal today)

When you have a newborn it takes you all your time to get out of the flipping house never mind having time to express, what a stupid suggestion!

Oh and then there was the old lady who suggested bf should be done in the privacy of ones home???!!! Oh yes, good plan, we'll just never leave the house so you don't get offended angry

Give me strength, why are people even bothered about this? Noone would be offended if they saw a cow feeding a calf in a field, they wouldn't tell the cow to go indoors and express their milk!

It's prefectly ok to have massive waps splashed all over lads mags but god forbid someone see a tiny bit of breast flesh whilst a mother feeds her baby hmm

sambo303 Wed 08-Jul-09 09:25:17

why did Lorraine suggest her interviewee ("who had bad experience bfing in pizza restaurant) could go to the toilet to bf? WTF???? no women should ever bf in a toilet, that's the point surely. And she kept going on about being discreet. She clearly has a problem with bf. pathetic woman grrr

sweetkitty Wed 08-Jul-09 09:26:05

Dalrymps - my feelings exactly, pictures of naked women everywhere, men with NIPPLES on show all Summe but God help you if you dare flash a tiny bit of breast using them for what they are for.

That woman who said it was disgusting should calm down and go have a cup of tea with the bodily fluid from the BREAST of a dumb animal that stands in a field, eats grass and licks it's own arse!

Dalrymps Wed 08-Jul-09 09:28:20

Ha ha ha sweetkitty! grin

I've had the tv on pause so just watching it now. Lorraines 'giggling' is already anoying me!

fishie Wed 08-Jul-09 09:28:39

i'm not watching it (am at work) but am utterly fed up with hearing about this non-story. it just fuels people who do have peculiar ideas about bf, it is an entirely media-led situation and i bet the survey was done just so they could make a silly fuss about it rather than for any other end. <froth>

Upwind Wed 08-Jul-09 09:29:52

Turned on GMTV for the first time to see this. What vapid nonsense.

Lorraine Kelly must have said DISCRETE or DISCREETLY at least five times. Toilet suggested as option for breastfeeding when eating out. NCT breastfeeding counsellor with pink hair not challenging the notion that breastfeeding in public is generally disapproved of.

I regularly breastfeed in public, in all sorts of locations, and have never had the slightest indication that anyone gives a damn how I choose to feed my baby.

Cesario Wed 08-Jul-09 09:32:11

She was pathetic - Lorraine
'as long as it is very discreet'
'Perhaps you could have found a corner to sit it'

Even suggested the toilet

JESUS

Dalrymps Wed 08-Jul-09 09:34:26

Stupid flippin Lorraine Kelly, what an idiot rrraarrggghhh! 'As long as you're doing it descreetly' <big frustrated sigh>

harpsichordcarrier Wed 08-Jul-09 09:34:26

total non story
who cares if other people are "offended" by breastfeeding? the kindest thing to do with other people's prejudice and ignorance is just ignore it, imo

Dalrymps Wed 08-Jul-09 09:36:09

And i'm so irritated I can't spell, discreetly.

Suggesting the loo shockangry. Would Lorraine like to conduct her next interview in the loo?

Chulita Wed 08-Jul-09 09:36:50

I think the reason people find it offensive is cos breasts are such a big sexual thing that some people can't get their tiny brains around the fact that they are life-giving organs (are breasts organs? hmm biology's not my strong point!). Breasts have two fantastic and equally valid uses. I think it's awesome that we can make everything we need to help our baby grow for 6 months or so without having to put any thought into it. I get so bored of TV 'personalities' talking about this; they never do it justice and end up pissing us all off and reinforcing the idea that bfing is disgusting and somehow perverted...freaking bunch of idiots angry

Upwind Wed 08-Jul-09 09:38:19

If I had personal issues with any other aspect of normal life, would I be given airtime like this to vent my ignorant prejudice?

You don't see homophobic people regularly being given a chance to air their views, nor racists, nor those who find elderly or disabled people repugnant. Why are breastfeeding mothers an acceptable target?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now