Talk

Advanced search

Breast still feels really full after feed

(6 Posts)
pixsix Wed 08-Jul-09 05:10:29

My 7.5 mo ds has just had a feed (both sides) but my left breast still feels like I haven't fed from it - it feels lumpy and swollen as it does when I have gone longer than usual without feeding him.

Last night he had his bedtime feed as usual finishing at about 745pm He had both sides twice and I didn't notice the left side feeling strange. He then had a quick feed off the right side again at 9ish to settle him back to sleep.

The left side was very full and had been leaking when he woke at 430am but that's not unusual. I fed from the left first and then put him back on the left after the right but it still feels full and a bit tender but not painful.

I'm just wondering if this is likely to be the start of a problem and if there is anything I should do to stop any problems developing? I'm gussng it might resolve itself after the next feed anyway (touch wood)!

TIA for any help.

pixsix Wed 08-Jul-09 07:20:54

I've just fed him again, kept putting him back on the left instead of offering the right but it still feels really lumpy and full.

idontbelieveit Wed 08-Jul-09 07:28:21

Maybe you slept on that side and it's given you a blocked duct? You could try a warm compress (disposable nappy soaked in warm water stays hot for ages) but keeping feeding from that side is probably the best bet. Hopefully someone more knowledgable than me will be along soon.

pixsix Wed 08-Jul-09 07:44:05

Thanks, going to try that now.

idontbelieveit Wed 08-Jul-09 22:44:38

Hey pixsix has it sorted itself out?

pixsix Wed 08-Jul-09 22:58:25

Hey, thanks for asking.

I called the NCT line in the end as the breast was getting very painful because it was filling up with milk and I could not empty it at all by feeding, pumping or hand expressing.

The very lovely BFC said it was a blocked duct and suggested a hot compress so you were right, thanks! In the end after Reading on Kelly Mom, I managed to unblock it using a combination of hot compresses, massage, a hot shower, feeding and pumping. I was pretty scared it was going to go in to mastitis and it was very uncomfortable for a while but fine now.

Thanks for checking on me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now