Talk

Advanced search

breast -feeding biter!

(12 Posts)
mumnanny1 Tue 07-Jul-09 20:15:03

I just wondered if anyone has any tips for stopping a baby biting the breast while feeding. My dd 6 months has been doing this on and off for the last month or so. She has just got two teeth and tonight bit me really hard and drew blood. I don't want to feed her on that breast at the moment. Any ideas would be very welcome.

Biccy Tue 07-Jul-09 22:45:44

Hi mumnanny1. When dd was trying to get used to her teeth, if she bit me, I would yelp in pain, quickly remove her, and turn away from her for half a minute before re-latching her. She actually learned pretty quickly, and I breastfed her to 20 months. I read that you shouldn't stifle your natural reaction to the pain, as it's your natural reaction that teaches them best that what they're doing isn't on. Good luck!

sweetkitty Tue 07-Jul-09 22:49:11

I take them off straight away, they soon learn it hurts Mummy and that means no milk, DD3 went through a phase of it but she has stopped now. She used to bite at the end of a feed when the nipple was falling out her mouth I think she would realise and bite to keep it in, I have her teeth marks and blood before too.

idunnop Wed 08-Jul-09 09:02:22

I also used to yelp and then immediately put DD down on the floor for half a minute before starting again. I wanted it to be a bit of a shock to her as well as me, and it seemed to work pretty quickly.

MummyElk Wed 08-Jul-09 09:08:45

hello! I think it's a phase - my DD did it a lot at about 5-7 months, drew blood, the lot - she also thought it was hilarious every time i yelped but still.
anyway all above tips seem to work - and although it's frustrating to be told they'll grow out of it - i think they do?
sorry if that's not much help.
lots of sympathy though - nothing quite like the pain of a bitten nipple is there
x

mumnanny1 Wed 08-Jul-09 10:40:28

Thank you lots everyone. I had tried a stern looking face and saying 'no' but like your daughter, mummy elk, she seemed to think this was funny. I will definitely try removing her and putting her down. I did take her off but only very briefly. Maybe she'll get the message if I take her off for longer. I hope so!x

elkiedee Wed 08-Jul-09 11:00:25

Thanks for question and answers. DS2 has 2 teeth and more coming, and is 5 months, so I have the same worries.

idunnop Wed 08-Jul-09 11:04:53

I tried to seem actually shocked / cross so she would get the message. Unfortunately some babies probably would find that funny I guess.... Good luck!

Biccy Wed 08-Jul-09 13:08:57

I think it is important to refuse eye contact for half a minute; I don't think they find that funny.

edwinak Wed 08-Jul-09 21:45:53

I have noticed my ds bites towards the end of a feed. A BF expert told me that it can be that the feed has gone well, they've had enough milk & are now just playing. I normally end the feed at this point & he doesn't seem bothered.

mumnanny1 Fri 10-Jul-09 07:27:36

Yes, I've noticed it's at the end of the feed too, Edwinak. She often starts making weird noises and blowing on the boob hmm so I get her off as quickly as possible when she starts doing that now!

TrudyVotion Fri 10-Jul-09 20:45:26

I realise my mistake now - after screeching at DS to gerroff earlier today I gave him big cuddles once he had unclamped those jaws as I was worried I'd scared him - half a minute on the floor with no eye-contact it will be next time, no more Mr Nice Guy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now