loader

Talk

Advanced search

17 month old won't stop bf, and won't drink out of a beaker

(16 Posts)
Socci Tue 17-May-05 20:25:04

Message withdrawn

serenity Tue 17-May-05 20:31:24

I don't know what advice I can give you about introducing a beaker apart from keep trying tbh, but DD is 18mths and can't manage a cup yet. She misses her mouth and tips it down her front. She has cups to play with in the bath, and she practises with the bathwater, which might be a good way of practising with the beaker (probably better with ordinary water rather than bathwater though!)

SenoraPostrophe Tue 17-May-05 20:37:03

ds has never been great with a bottle or cup, but he would always take sips out of a proper glass (preferably one that i had been drinking from). He would also take water/juice if really thirsty, but never that much.

I weaned him anyway last month and he has improved. Maybe she's not thirsty?

Socci Tue 17-May-05 20:48:20

Message withdrawn

Lonelymum Tue 17-May-05 20:50:33

I judged when my son was ready for a cup (without a lid) by watching him every day when I brushed his teeth. He has a tooth mug and gradually I saw he was controlling the cup better and drinking some of the water from time to time instead of just tipping the water down himself! This happened a few months ago and he is currently 27 months old.

With regard to weaning on to a lidded cup, well I know a lot of people wouldn't agree with me, but I thought the anywayup cups were a waste of money because my children never seemed to get used to having to suck to get the fluid out. So I would recommend a lidded cup with an ordinary spout (but with a flip over lid so you can transport full cups when out) as the fluid comes out much more easily.

Just keep trying with it. Your dd will adapt to the cup much less easily if there is always an alternative on offer.

SenoraPostrophe Tue 17-May-05 20:55:11

ds is 16 months. he will also drink better from a pound shop simple lidded cup than a valve thingumy.

moondog Tue 17-May-05 20:55:19

Socci,my ds is 10 mths and drinks out of a cup-has done from about 6 mths. I still b/feed and he never really took to a spout thing,so I tried him on a cup and he is great! Saves lugging around more paraphernalia,so I'm glad.

Socci Tue 17-May-05 21:58:21

Message withdrawn

moondog Tue 17-May-05 22:00:02

Oh go! It'll do you good! Your milk will still be there after you come back,although you may need to express,more for comfort than supply maintenence though.

Socci Tue 17-May-05 22:02:41

Message withdrawn

moondog Wed 18-May-05 18:00:43

That's a bit unfair socci!
Hope you decide to go. Is it business or pleasure?

Socci Fri 20-May-05 13:11:24

Message withdrawn

SenoraPostrophe Fri 20-May-05 13:43:02

socci, where is this hen week? Can you not take her with you (wouldn't be the same, but might be better than missing it altogether?)

I had a similar issue - gave up bfing a month ago so i could go to the UK for a wedding last week. dh insisted that ds was fully weaned beforehand.

Socci Fri 20-May-05 17:54:39

Message withdrawn

Socci Fri 20-May-05 17:55:06

Message withdrawn

SenoraPostrophe Sat 21-May-05 09:46:17

socci - I mean whereabouts in spain? apart from the clubs, spain is very baby friendly - you can take them to restaurants anywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now