Talk

Advanced search

Anyone see this about Bounty packs? MN quoted

(48 Posts)
hunkermunker Mon 06-Jul-09 23:30:41

In the Telegraph...

EdwardBitMe Mon 06-Jul-09 23:42:31

The "photographer" who came to me when DS2 was born was the maternity ward receptionist. She had on both a NHS identity badge and a Bounty one. I was a bit hmm that NHS allow their staff to "moonlight" in that way.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 06-Jul-09 23:50:00

I told them to bugger off both times and didn't do the photos. But when I was in with DS (for a looooonnnng time, she visited every day pre-birth to check to ensure she didn't miss her chance hmm) She was quite miffed when I told her the 19th time she visited I just wasn't interested. grin

cheekster Mon 06-Jul-09 23:52:11

I thought it was lovely to have a photo of DS when he just born. And a nice way to make extra cash for the hospital.

The photographer who snapped him was so lovely too. I didnt feel pressured or threatened at all.

SparklyGothKat Mon 06-Jul-09 23:53:13

I was 'lucky' as all my kids were in SCBU so they never got to photograph my kids lol

FAQinglovely Mon 06-Jul-09 23:58:40

I had great fun when they came round after DS1 was born. Said who they were - did I want a photo of my newborn (only about 4/5hrs after he was born)

"No thanks" I said..........pointing at the already framed photo taken as soon I was out of theatre by my dad, who then rushed home, printed it off, framed it and brought it back for me grin

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 07-Jul-09 00:06:09

I had a single room after DS was born - the Bounty people never found me! Shall be doing the same again another time

WoTmania Tue 07-Jul-09 08:11:53

Another advantage of Homebirth methinks

Meglet Tue 07-Jul-09 08:22:27

i liked the freebies but both times they never even asked to take a picture of me and my baby. Maybe we are really ugly hmm.

BONKERZ Tue 07-Jul-09 08:28:08

i had a bounty woman come round to do a photo when DS was born and i loved the pic, when they came round when DD was born i was happy for another pic to be done BUT 3 weeks later i rang to find out where my pic was cos i had seen it on the camera and DD looked perfect in it only to be told that the bounty lady had lost all her photos that day. I was gutted.

namechangerforareason Tue 07-Jul-09 08:30:14

I loved the freebies and our "bounty lady" was really nice until I said I did not want her taking a photograph of my DS as my DP is a photographer and would prefer him to take any photos. She did get a bit snappy and tired to persuade me as to how lovely it would be to have a precious photo such as this, when I repeated that I wanted DP to take them she said "oh well, best leave it to a professional photographer then!" and flounced away!

Longtalljosie Tue 07-Jul-09 08:39:22

That's a very good article. I wonder if the Telegraph put in the FOI request after seeing our original discussion, to see how prevalent the problem was.

Can't believe it about them lurking around SCBU.

KingRolo Tue 07-Jul-09 08:41:44

Thread from yesterday

spongebrainmaternitypants Tue 07-Jul-09 08:41:48

Lol at the photographer "getting snappy" namechange! grin

Hulababy Tue 07-Jul-09 08:42:31

We did have the photographer come round and we did have a photo of DD a day after she was born. TBH the photo was rubbish; the worst photo of DD I have ever had in the whole 7 years of her life so far! However, it was an easy way of getting her a passport photo done.

pigletmania Tue 07-Jul-09 08:50:56

I had the same, why do they come and harrass you hours after giving birth, the last thing you want is people selling things especially after a difficult birth. Do love the Bounty packs though, they are great, I still have the Sudocreme and dd is 2.4 months old.

Babieseverywhere Tue 07-Jul-09 09:57:40

I refused the bounty pack three days in a row for my second child. Eventually the woman demanded to know what was wrong with 'her' pack.

I explained I didn't want freebie and vouchers for stuff I wouldn't use and give away my new address details and get loads of unwanted sales calls. I smiled and she shuffled away.

We should not allow bounty packs at all. Just relevent govermnent forms with details of the goverment sponsored (?) breastfeeding support line.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 07-Jul-09 11:09:00

Am I the only person who gave bogus details to the Bounty lady then? grin

CherryChoc Tue 07-Jul-09 11:22:31

Also the Tesco/Boots baby clubs are awful as well. I signed up for everything when I was pg as was told they had great vouchers for everything, it all seems to be jar food, follow on milk and johnson's baby bath stuff.

Then I was also shocked the other day to read through the "New baby" mini magazine that came from the tesco club when DS was tiny, it was all about "Your 0-3 month old baby" and the sleep section was all about controlled crying angry.

Northernlurker Tue 07-Jul-09 18:31:12

So pleased the truth about Bounty is in the news! I demanded my pack (because the wee pot of sudacreme is handy) but wouldn't give my address or allow a photo with dd3. I had just got to sleep having been up all night birthing and then been too wired to sleep for a few hours. The exhaustion was just hitting me (and the after effects of losing quite a bit of blood) and I was just drifting off when she came and WOKE me up so 'I wouldn't miss the vouchers'. I came perilously close to telling her to sod off - think I said ' I don't CARE about getting the weaning pack, I know how to do that. I just need to SLEEP now' She was really huffy about it - you got the impression people don't dare say no a lot...

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 07-Jul-09 18:48:26

Message withdrawn

wuglet Tue 07-Jul-09 18:52:39

SGK.....the Bounty lady at our hospital came to SCBU as well!

So I was hounded every day on the postnatal ward for two weeks and every day on SCBU for three weeks!

(Did get the pic in the end - had always intended to get it but wanted to wait for all the lines and tubes out. But was pissed off at being asked every single day)

Stretch Tue 07-Jul-09 18:57:43

I had a homebirth with DD2 and DS1. MW came round a few hours after they were born and said she had a Bounty pack for me, but I MUST fill in the form! grin Course I did!!hmm

whomovedmychocolate Tue 07-Jul-09 20:04:37

Bounty Lady at DD's hospital was clearly a button short of a shirt - I told her my name was Geoffrey Howe and she just blithely wrote it down! grin

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 07-Jul-09 20:23:27

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now