Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

baby fighting and crying at breast

(12 Posts)
mootthing Mon 06-Jul-09 19:36:30

I am breast-feeding my seven week old son, but in the last couple of weeks he has stopped feeding quietly and started thrashing about, squirming and crying while feeding. Usually he latches on, feeds for a few minutes, then starts to wriggle, goes bright red and comes away howling. If I pick him up to wind him he cries to go back on and frantically sucks his hands but when I put him back the whole thing starts again. It is particularly bad in the evening.

The breastfeeding advisor's advice was to take him off, wind him and put him back, but this seems to make virtually no difference. It makes feeding very frustrating for all of us. What can I do?

kalo12 Mon 06-Jul-09 19:39:29

not sure but i remember mine doing exactly the same, he ended up being dairy intolerant, don't know if this was related

appletiser Wed 08-Jul-09 22:01:31

mine did this - i realised it was bc he was just too hungry ..sometimes giving him my finger to suck on calmed him down enough to quickly get him onto the breast... or try to put him on the breast before he gets to that stage....good luck..

idontbelieveit Wed 08-Jul-09 22:19:06

I wonder if he's getting frustrated waiting for a second letdown of milk? Have you tried swapping sides as soon as he fusses? This seems to work for my dd2 (5 months) menas we often swaps 3 or 4 times in a feed.

spottedandstriped Sat 11-Jul-09 18:58:08

My baby did this and he had a posterior tongue tie. It might be asking a lactation consultant to check specifically for this.

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 11-Jul-09 19:07:35

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 11-Jul-09 19:07:37

Message withdrawn

barnsleybelle Sat 11-Jul-09 19:22:42

DC2 did this from 3 weeks though. Turned out to be gastric reflux. She was arching her back at every feed, crying etc. She also vomited ++++ on and off until the next feed, plus had pain when lying flat.
Not saying this is the case for your dc but worth seeing the GP should things not improve.

GreenFingeredMummy Sun 12-Jul-09 21:08:03

My ds has just started doing this yesterday, hes 4wks. His squirming and pulling on/off my nipple has made me quite sore. And I too have tried the winding and putting back on, but he wont bring up any wind. Last night he fussed so much that I tried both breats and in the end gave up and put him back in his basket, where he actually fell asleep. I have noticed that it takes quite a while for my second let down to happen, but sometimes he seems to fuss from the very beginning.

Quick Question - Do people offer both breats at a feed? Ive just been offering one but have found recently that I end up giving him the other within 30mins of him finishing the first. Love to know what you think (sorry to hyjack the thread smile)

freyski Sun 12-Jul-09 22:26:44

My DD started this at 7 weeks. Pulling off and loud screaming. I also posted about it (on a different site) and got a lot of posts from people saying this had happened to them around the same age. There didnt seem to be any reason for it and it lasted about 2 weeks and then she began to feed as normal!

logrrl Mon 13-Jul-09 22:33:46

My DS goes through phases of this-he is now 14weeks. Switching sides helps, as does winding, if he will let me!

greenfingeredmummy my DS has always taken both sides- I "offered" and he accepted. When he was smaller, this meant that feeds could take an hour...now down to about 30-35minutes. p.s. your question will probably get lost in this thread, so you might want to make it a thread of its own!

Sophie1106 Wed 15-Jul-09 15:19:37

My 4 week old has just started this however it seems I have created the problem by giving her expressed milk aswell -so she's frustrated with the let down. She does exactly the same-looks hungry sucks for about 30 seconds then pulls off and cries loudly. i would say this is the issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now