Talk

Advanced search

Hand chewing

(8 Posts)
jasperc163 Mon 06-Jul-09 16:21:48

in a 3 month old. Is this a sign of hunger or is it just a developmental phase ?

Olihan Mon 06-Jul-09 16:25:50

Developmental, ime. They've just started to gain some control and awareness over their limbs and the hand to mouth is a fairly instinctive movement.

tiktok Mon 06-Jul-09 16:30:55

Signs of hunger in a baby are crying and distress. Hand chewing is a normal phase of development which all babies are 'programmed' to do.

Has someone suggested your baby is hungry because he is doing this, jasper?

jasperc163 Mon 06-Jul-09 16:33:11

thanks both - no, and she is not distressed, hence my feeling that it was probably developmental. Just wanted to check though :-)

Powdoc Mon 06-Jul-09 17:00:30

I agree with the others. However, I have also noticed that my DD sometimes starts what I can only describe as a frantic hand-suck if she's hungry. The rest of the time it's more like a gentle slobber!

tiktok Mon 06-Jul-09 17:18:53

Powdoc, prob what's happening here is that she has sucking on her mind, knows a feed is coming shortly, finds her hand and/or fingers, and just gets going

Powdoc Mon 06-Jul-09 17:49:40

Sounds right. She once gave me a large lovebite on my collar bone by sucking frantically whilst I was unclipping my bra!

fifitot Mon 06-Jul-09 21:41:40

Ah tiktok that's such a nice thought.

I wish you were around when I was learning to bf....

I am only on this board to complain about Coronation Street and have been on here too long now. Stopped ebfing about 4-5 months ago and now feel really broody and missing it...Poor old me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now