Talk

Advanced search

Weight loss & Breast feeding

(5 Posts)
jen992 Mon 06-Jul-09 14:58:00

Hi,

My DS is now 17 weeks old and 6 weeks ago I started weight watchers (not going to the meetings, just doing it myself). I have now lost 11pounds in these 6 weeks (I'm 5' 9" and weighed 13 stone 3lb before starting the diet so was pretty overweight.)

I always eat more than advised on the plan due to BF my DS however i'm now concerned.

I took DS to be weighed this morning. He has only put on 10lb in the last 5 weeks and has fallen from above the 50th centile to just above the 25th centile. He is a happy, healthy baby and hardely never cries. I feed him every 2-3 hrs during the day and once or twice in the night.

Basically I would like the know the best high calorie, lower fat foods I could eat to help SLOWLY lose weight but keep my milk supply up for DS.

I know you'll all probably say that I shouldn't be wanting to lose weight at this time as I need to concentrate on DS HOWEVER my excess weight is getting me down and I need to lose some (slowly) so could someone please recommend some high calorie lower fat food please? I know a balanced diet is essential and I should be consuming 500 calories more a day but I don't want to end up overweight like I did whilst feeding DS1 2 years ago.

Any help much appreciated.

TheProvincialLady Mon 06-Jul-09 15:01:32

Your weight loss will have NO impact on your milk, honestlysmile You would have to be actually starving for it to do that. More likely, your DS is just finding the size he is meant to be.

Congratulations on your weight loss and for doing it sensibly and healthily. As I understand it, WW offers extra points to BFers. Just make sure you take them up on it.

ShowOfHands Mon 06-Jul-09 15:30:14

Weight loss/diet has nothing to do with milk supply or quality. Your ds might just be settling down to his natural size. Be led by his happiness/health/nappies instead of a graph.

Have you thought about exercising?

I eat a healthy balanced diet but with no restrictions at all and regularly exercise (and bfeed) and have lost 2 stones, weigh less than I did pre-pregnancy and am fitter than at any other point in my life.

imaginewittynamehere Mon 06-Jul-09 15:32:58

I agree with Theprovinciallady- my doctor told me that your baby will take what it needs before your body so even extreme dieting will not affect your milk as much as you. As long as you are following a sensible diet your baby should not be affected. Well done on the 11 pounds loss

jen992 Mon 06-Jul-09 17:45:34

thanks everyone!
I am exercising too - lots of walking and a thighs, bums and tums class once a week. So not excessive but enough to help lose weight and tone up a bit.

I will carry on as i am doing and have DS weighed again in a couple of weeks, see how he's doing.

Thanks again for putting my mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now