Talk

Advanced search

Does the 4 month growth spurt exist?

(5 Posts)
fruitstick Mon 06-Jul-09 13:23:31

My 20 week old DS is exclusively breastfed and has settled into a bit of a pattern recently, except when it was hot and he had an extra feed in the afternoon. He's sleeping fairly well.

However the last few days he has been very unsettled and seems to be constantly hungry. So far today I've fed him at 7, 9:45, 11 and now.

He hasn't settled well for either of his naps either.

I'm coming under pressure from DH that he should have a bottle and my sister that he needs solids.

Obviously I don't want to actively starve the poor child but think this maybe a growth spurt.

Did anyone else have this? How long did it last?

tiktok Mon 06-Jul-09 13:34:02

Fruitstick, my feeling and experience about growth spurts is 'they do not matter'. It does not matter a jot if a baby wants to be fed more often and is a bit unsettled at 1 week, 3 weeks, 12 weeks, 5 mths....whatever and whenever. It is normal for babies (and human beings of all ages!) to go through periods where they may need, physiologically, more to eat and drink at other times. With a baby, it is also normal to have times when their other needs for comfort and closeness appear more acute than at other times.

So what we call 'a growth spurt' is merely a temporary variation in behaviour and need, and can happen at any time.

Clearly, for the majority of babies, 20 weeks is too soon for solids, and if he is hungry, you are meeting that need much more effectively with breastmilk than by giving solids (which are mostly rather lower in calories). Formula milk is very slightly lower in calories, too, so if your baby needs more milk at present (and he seems to - for whatever reason, could also be the heat) - why would formula be better than breastmilk?

fruitstick Mon 06-Jul-09 13:37:45

thanks Titok, I may laminate your reply and hand it to people as they walk through the door.

tiktok Mon 06-Jul-09 13:59:52

I find swearing at people and telling them to mind their own is an equally good tactic

memct Mon 06-Jul-09 14:25:42

My son did the same at around 20 weeks, feeding more than hourly day and night for over a week. I was at my wits end and started him on solids. He was over 20lb by this stage and sitting so I thought it was the right thing at the time but probably should have waited- wasn't a mumsnetter at the time so didn't have the benefit of all the advice. If you can cope with the feeding, try to ignore the pressure
xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now