Talk

Advanced search

Any breastfeeding experts out there, I'm in a real pickle

(7 Posts)
charleyfarleycat Mon 06-Jul-09 10:15:12

Hi girls
I've managed to get myself in a real mess over the last week. My DS 15 weeks has been a marvellous feeder, much better than my DD who was a nightmare. He has been putting on weight at a rate of around 8oz a week and weighs about 18-19lbs now I reckon.
He's been feeding around 5-6 times a day on a rough schedule with occasional top ups and a feed at 4am.
For a week now he's been off the boob, not happy when I put him to it and won't feed but if I give him a bottle of EBM he downs it. He's waking up more at night,I'm guessing cos he's not getting enough during the day. My supply is also going down inevitably.
This morning however has been worse than normal. It's 1015 and he hasn't fed since a half hearted feed at 4am. I'm getting stressed and spending a lot of time trying to feed and express while my 3 yr old watches telly. Not right.
Anyone got any advice?

pigletmania Mon 06-Jul-09 10:52:28

I really feel for you, Sorry no advice, but Tiktok should be here soon to help as she is a bf counsellor. She is very good so hang in there.

Kinderella Mon 06-Jul-09 11:49:54

Not sure, sorry, but bumping for you. Hope someone helpful comes along soon!

cece Mon 06-Jul-09 11:56:14

He hasn't got thrush has he?

charleyfarleycat Mon 06-Jul-09 11:59:41

Don't think so. I managed to get him on the boob at 1020 for about 2 mins but it was a lot of cajoling (sp?). I'm mostly worried about my supply and the thought of feeding non-stop during the night to make up for the non feeding during the day! Because of his weight I know he's not going to fade away!! I've been so relaxed with number 2 baby that this state I'm in is actually annoying me!!

tiktok Mon 06-Jul-09 12:46:23

charleyfarley....this could be a nursing strike. It's a temporary thing, and it's not always possible to know what causes it. I have to go now so cant write more detail but you can search on this term on the mumsnet archives and also call any of he helplines - they will have some good ideas.

charleyfarleycat Mon 06-Jul-09 16:16:23

Thank you. I'll have a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now