Talk

Advanced search

blocked duct

(7 Posts)
dawntigga Sun 05-Jul-09 18:23:29

I have a blocked duct in my nipple - it's only slightly toe curlingly painful!shock Had one in the other nipple but managed to squeeze that one out. Have tried squeezing but the little bugger is having none of it. Have tried a hot flannel and that's eased the pain of latch on.

Is there any other way I can unblock the duct myself? There is no redness to suggest infection etc. and I'm loath to go to my doctors as she's a waste of space.

dxx

jabberwocky Sun 05-Jul-09 18:27:19

Oh, I had those a lot with ds1, ouch! It sounds like you are doing all the right things. I found that the more ds1 fed the faster it resolved.

Kayteee Sun 05-Jul-09 19:51:55

When you have the hot flannel you can gently stroke from the top of your breast towards the nipple (with your hand on top of the flannel). If you keep repeating this movement you can sometimes massage it free iyswim.

dawntigga Sun 05-Jul-09 21:41:39

Thanks guys, managed to get a bit more out at the last feed. Will try again tomorrow as frankly it's to painful to try at 0330 which will be his next feed hopefully!

dxx

PacificDogwood Sun 05-Jul-09 21:44:49

You could try hand- or pump expressing a bit whilst he is sleeping.
I had lots of problems with this and would second the advice to get LO to feed a lot. You might need to wake him to give you some relief. I hated that sensation of ever worsening sore lump. Hot flannel, massage as discribed from out side of breast towards nipple, I sometimes used a cold pack inside my bra after the feed, also Nurofen helped.

oldraver Mon 06-Jul-09 17:21:55

Is is just a blocked duct or do you have a nipple 'pleb' or spot or anything visible on the nipple. These can lead to blocked ducts as the milk cant get out and I had to gently lift the skin and massage like hell. In the shower is good especially if you have a quite pwerfull one and as hot as is comfortable.... but as you say 3.30am your not always up to it

Montifer Mon 06-Jul-09 23:27:44

Ouch, blocked ducts are horrid aren't they.
I always find useful info on kellymom.
Top dose ibuprofen for a day or two if you are ok with it, frequent bf and all the tips everyone has suggested.
Hope your's unblocks v soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now