Talk

Advanced search

DD will only feed when I'm lying down

(7 Posts)
terf Sun 05-Jul-09 17:19:08

She's 24 weeks old and is quite small (5th centile) so it makes feedings quite important but for the last few weeks she refuses to feed while I sit. I have to be lying down on my side to get her to feed. She's also feeding very little - a few minutes here and there. It's just so frustrating - this coupled with sleep deprivation makes it quite tough. However she has enough wet/pooey nappies and is full of beans all the time. Any ideas on how I can get her to feed while in a cradle hold? Just putting her in that position makes her antsy and she starts to complain so in the end I relent and we end up in the bed.

Kayteee Sun 05-Jul-09 19:46:17

Could you put a pillow across your lap and lie her down on it while feeding?

Kayteee Sun 05-Jul-09 19:47:03

I mean put one arm under the pillow, iyswim.

ShowOfHands Sun 05-Jul-09 19:49:12

My dd hated cradle hold, turned out she had a problem with her neck. Would only feed lying down or in rugby hold until a cranial osteopath fixed it.

TheProvincialLady Sun 05-Jul-09 19:49:57

I think a lot of babies go through this so I am sure someone will be here soon with helpful advice.

In the meantime it might help you to know that you are NOT alone. My 6m DS2 has just discovered crawling and wants to be on his knees the whole time. So the only way I can get him to feed during the day now is to crouch down on the floor and shove my boob upwards so he can feed and do press ups at the same time.

<pauses while you imagine it>

So now just lying down doesn't seem so bad eh? You don't want to be doing what I have to do in the John Lewis cafe do you?grin

terf Sun 05-Jul-09 20:57:14

Lol thanks for the image ProvincialLady! Yes lying down does seem much better!
We've been to the osteo and apparently she's (knock on wood) one of the healthiest babies he's seen. It's just frustrating to always have to be lying down - can't talk neither because the slightest noise/sound puts her off. I'd love to just give her the bottle except she rejects that as well... No one warned me babies could be this hard work (I know, I know, silly me...)...

cheesemonster Mon 06-Jul-09 11:28:17

My DD did this too. We went to a cranial osteopath, which helped as she had a build up of cranial fluid after an OP birth.
We also had thrush, which was why her feeds where shorter & she found that the lying down position was more comfy for her. As the thrush began to clear she fed for longer & was less fussy with her feeds till one day she fed sitting up!
It may be worth getting thrush looked into- I didnt really have any typical thrush symptons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now