Talk

Advanced search

If your dc was sensitive to cow's milk protein in your breast milk, when (if ever) did it wear off?

(9 Posts)
januarysnowdrop Sun 05-Jul-09 15:36:45

... and did it cause problems with switching them to formula? My dd2 is now 5 months old, and I worked out fairly early on that cow's milk in my diet seemed to cause problems for her: she was considerably less colicky when I cut out dairy (I never cut it out completely, mind you, but I cut down a lot). Every so often I will do something radical like eating a cheese sandwich to see if it bothers her, and unfortunately it does still seem to. Nothing horrendous, but her tummy gets rather tight and she seems to be quite uncomfortable. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has experience of this, and, if so, how did things turn out? Was it a long-term issue for them? I was hoping this would just be a short-term sensitivity and she'd grow out of it! I had been planning to switch her gradually onto formula from 6 months, but I realise that these are mostly based on cow's milk, so I'm wondering whether this would be likely to cause her problems.

Anyway, if you've got experience of this, I'd love to hear how it worked out for you.

jabberwocky Sun 05-Jul-09 15:57:50

Ds1 was always sensitive to me drinking cow's milk or eating ice cream. I weaned him at 13 months but went to a toddler formula instead of cow's milk. I used one of those lactose-intolerant version. I thought he had grown out of it at around 2 so we went to cow's milk but then at 3 1/2 we had to go dairy-free and I guess that's that. He does fine on goat's milk/cheese though so that's nice. I didn't want to do soya after I read about the whole hormone thing.

oldraver Mon 06-Jul-09 17:24:53

DS is 3 1/2 and I have recently been erm 'radical'. His pead thinks he will grow out of his intolerence but he has been sick twice this week after I had been naughty and had a whole hunk some cheese

thisisyesterday Mon 06-Jul-09 17:28:00

ds was breastfed until 16 months and I had to cut out dairy totally for the entire time.
he still reacts to it now (20 months) but we just use dairy substitutes for him.

you won't be able to use formula if your baby is intolerant to cow's milk protein.
you'd need something like nutramigen or neocate on prescription.

fwiw though breastmilk is the absolute best thing to give a child with intolerances or allergies, so it's def worth considering carrying on with the breastfeeding

belgo Mon 06-Jul-09 17:28:22

My ds is nine months old and diagnosed with eczema caused by cow's milk at age three months.

His skin is almost totally better, and I am introducing cow's milk into my diet and he seems to be tolerating it fine.

I will carry on breastfeeding for quite a while yet, I see no pint in swapping over to another sort of milk when he is doing well on mine.

belgo Mon 06-Jul-09 17:29:14

point not pint!grin

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 06-Jul-09 17:30:27

Ds was intolerant, dietician told us to keep him off any dairy products until he was a year and then try him with some milk, he thankfully had grown out of it by that time, but she said if he did have a reaction then to leave it again for 6 months.

LeonieSoSleepy Tue 07-Jul-09 19:49:10

Message withdrawn

januarysnowdrop Tue 07-Jul-09 20:13:26

Thanks everyone - that's all quite reassuring, as dd2 clearly isn't serious allergic (I still have cow's milk in tea & use butter on toast), no eczma or anything horrible like that, it just seems to give her indigestion if I have serious amounts of cow's milk! I do wonder if dd1 now aged 2) had the same problem when she was a baby - no one ever mentioned cow's milk as a potential problem, so I just stuck to my normal diet and she had terrible colic for the first three months, then things started to improve. I am planning to carry on breast feeding until dd2 is 1 or so, but I would like to start introducing the odd bottle of formula from 6 months. Guess I'll just try different formulas until I find one that works for her.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now