Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Looking after breasts

(6 Posts)
logrrl Sun 05-Jul-09 12:08:30

I hope these aren't foolish questions...
1) are white patches on the tips of nipples always a sign of thrush??
2) Am I correct in not soaping my breasts directly whilst showering and should I avoid bath products coming into contact with my nipples?
3) Can I have a massage whilst breast feeding?

tiktok Sun 05-Jul-09 12:40:38

No such thing as a silly question

1. Answer is no - but give more info

2. Yes, but it's no big deal if you get soap or bath products on your nipples as long as you rinse them off.

3. Yes - why not? Not sure why this would be a concern, sorry.

CherryChoc Sun 05-Jul-09 21:07:54

Oh, why aren't you supposed to soap your breasts? I have been blush hope it's not too bad to do!

logrrl Mon 06-Jul-09 17:58:55

Thanks!
1. small white patches appear and disappear (over days) on both nipples, so that they are not uniformly pink. Sometimes the nipples are a bit itchy and I do get the occasional "twinge" in my breast tissue, but nothing major that I would call PAIN. Baby has a "clean" tongue but it's shiny and white on the roof/on the sides (I think that might be normal). I keep thinking that if I had thrush I'd probably know all about it, but do wonder about those patches being a low lying thrush (if that makes any sense).
3. well, elemis spa for example, say that certain massage (a long list!) is "unsuitable" for breastfeeding mothers. I am still a bit dumb about how breastmilk is actually made and what is absorbed into it etc, so maybe that's what their caution is about?? I will just ask the masseuse. I am guessing that me being calm and relaxed for my baby will benefit him...

Grendle Mon 06-Jul-09 20:51:54

On Q3, sometimes certain aromatherapy oils are avoided in breastfeeding, so this might be a factor. In a full body massage, my understanding is that they would avoid any part of the chest area ususally, in case it would stimulate leaking. It might be necessary to adjust the position you are massaged in if lying on your breasts was uncomfortable. Those are the only relevant thing I can think of smile. I've enjoyed many lovely massages while pregnant and/or breastfeeding.

maygirl Tue 07-Jul-09 22:47:42

I've had massages and they've used just the base oil without the essential oils. Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now