Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used Goat's Rue to increase milk supply?

(3 Posts)
Benjy Sat 04-Jul-09 15:32:59

And was it successful?

I have PCOS and had breast surgery a few years ago to remove a tumour and surrounding tissue. There is evidence to suggest that 30% Of women with PCOS struggle to breastfeed because the high circulating levels of testosterone this condition causes interferes with the development of glandular tissue at puberty.

I had my first daughter last year after fertility treatment and seemed to be one of this 30%: breasts never increased in size, were soft and never became hard, milk never came in. Am now pregnant again and due to deliver in a few weeks and am desperately hoping I can breastfeed this time.

I have got some RL support lined up but have read interesting things about Goat's Rue, in particular that it can help women with PCOS increase milk supply. I wondered if anyone had experience of this and do you know if I should start taking it before the birth or after and in what quantity?

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 04-Jul-09 16:36:29

Message withdrawn

Benjy Tue 14-Jul-09 08:34:09

I'm hoping you're right. Most women with PCOS can breastfeed (70%); those that have problems with supply are the women who were affected by PCOS during puberty.

I have seen a good NCT advisor and a dr. who both have experience of this so hopefully I will be able to breastfeed this time. I became quite depressed when I couldn't manage it with my dd and don't want to go through that again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now