Talk

Advanced search

low milk supply

(8 Posts)
lucykh Fri 03-Jul-09 17:17:37

does anyone have any advice on how to encourage more milk production? My son is 5 months and getting hungrier, plus I'm getting more active, which doesn't help. I'd rather not use formula and I've been topping up feeds with breastmilk from the fridge, supplies of which are diminishing fast! I'm also wondering if I should start introducing a little baby rice to keep him going...

borinbugger Fri 03-Jul-09 17:32:20

less formula = more milk producton , although i know its not that simple
i would try lots of water and fennel tea is supposed to increase milk production ,
sure baby rice fine at 5 months
i gave mine baby rice 6 months , breastfed till then and weaned off breast milk at a year (wish id done longer)
good luck and keep expressing milk(know its a chore)but that will keep your milk supply up
good luck x

borinbugger Fri 03-Jul-09 17:34:19

sorry meant more formula = less breast milk
i was reluctant to give formula too my da didnt have any my dd had a bottle of formula at night from 9 months to 1 yr

borinbugger Fri 03-Jul-09 17:34:19

sorry meant more formula = less breast milk
i was reluctant to give formula too my da didnt have any my dd had a bottle of formula at night from 9 months to 1 yr

tiktok Fri 03-Jul-09 17:42:51

lucy - just feed him according to his needs. There is no reason why you would not make enough for him - many babies start to appear hungrier now, and with warm weather some of them are just thirstier

No need to worry about your levels of activity, or water intake (just drink to thirst). No need to top up with ebm. No need for baby rice.

Just feed him

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 03-Jul-09 18:29:46

Message withdrawn

lucykh Fri 03-Jul-09 21:13:12

thanks so much for all your messages. I forgot to mention the last feed of the day around 7pm is the hardest as he feeds for ages and still isn't satisfied. I'm going to try expressing that feed in the morning for the following night, or i'm feeding for 1-2 hours every night with lots of crying when putting him down. I'm running out of patience now!!

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 03-Jul-09 21:57:46

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now