Talk

Advanced search

How To Choose Which Formula

(10 Posts)
tigerbump Fri 03-Jul-09 12:04:36

i am not based in the UK and as a result formula brands are not the same abroad. i plan on breastfeeding but want to have some formula in the house as a backup (to avoid having to buy nestle (hospital prefer!) and unkown brands abroad).

just keen to hear what the general views are on choosing a brand, any recommendations e.g.
Cow & Gate
Aptamil
SMA
Nurture
Hipp organic

thanks x

hunkermunker Fri 03-Jul-09 13:55:01

I wouldn't bother having some in the house, personally. You'll have access to formula after the baby's born - and you're planning to breastfeed, so you may well be wasting your money.

CMOTdibbler Fri 03-Jul-09 13:59:18

There are international rules on the composition of formula, so they are all the same when it comes to the essential things.

So, choose whichever is sold in the most accessible shop to you, and tell your DP/DH the brand. Don't buy any in case, just buy some if you need it.

AbricotsSecs Fri 03-Jul-09 14:08:29

Message withdrawn

pigletmania Fri 03-Jul-09 14:08:51

Hiya tigerbump

I used Aptimil, like you i wanted to have some in the cupboard just in case, I planned to bf but you never know what happens as a couple of my friends had problems bf. I am glad that i did, when MW said i need to top up with formula as dd was not getting enough milk from me, i was tired and frazzled and drained and in no fit state to go to the supermarket, dh was working long hours so it would be ages befoer i would get some, and i dont drive. You might not need it, but its good just in case. Just get a small carton of powder as they do do them in half sizes.

tiktok Fri 03-Jul-09 14:29:51

tigerbump: unless you really live miles from anywhere with no support, there really is no need to have a 'just in case' pack of formula.

Piglet, you've posted before how this advice from the midwife led to the end of breastfeeding for you - and how you wish you had known then what you know now

SatHereSitting Fri 03-Jul-09 14:50:05

I am currently mix feeding my 9 week old ds, due to stopping exclusive bf at 5 weeks (long story) anyway I thought all formula's were the same and gave my ds SMA as that's what they had in the hospital. However ds became a nightmare to feed, was constantly windy and his nappies stank! This did not help the negative emotions I was feeling due to giving up breastfeeding.

Anyway I switched him to Aptamil and he became like a different baby, started to feed really well, has hardly any wind and sorry for tmi but his dirty nappies look and smell like they did when he was fully bf (only has 2 bf's a day) I was so impressed that I recommended it to my friend who's baby was constantly colicy and unsettled (on SMA) and she noticed a massive difference too

I realise that formula's probably are pretty much the same and that different ones effect every baby differently but I personally found this milk to be the best. (Also tried Cow and Gate and Hipp in desperation)

I also agree with what Hunkermunker said though and wouldn't bother having any in the house if you're planning to breastfeed as it may make the temptation to give a formula feed more likely if you're having any difficulties breastfeeding in the early days (as many of us do)and that would be great shame and unfortunately may lead to giving up breastfeeding early.

tigerbump Fri 03-Jul-09 20:10:57

thanks for the feedback, we are quite remote but there are always pharmacies that stock formula so will just wait and see. xxx

mummyrex Fri 03-Jul-09 20:24:47

hey CMOT, where I used to live overseas, formula came in all sorts of flavours and colours, choc, strawberry, honey etc - not so sure whose rules THEY (including big international names) were following

AbricotsSecs Sat 04-Jul-09 09:44:00

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now