Talk

Advanced search

Untitled

(6 Posts)
Warwickmum Thu 02-Jul-09 23:08:30

Have been advised to swap to this thread as not really to do with weaning, which was my first thought!
I hope someone can help as I am getting conflicting advice from hv/friends/relatives!
My DS is just over 21 weeks old and is currently 16lb15. Over the last four weeks he has put on 4oz, 3oz (over a fortnight), 3oz and this week only 1oz. Would really like to reach 6 months exclusively breast feeding due to research that suggests digestive problems may occur later on in life if weaning before 6months (due to a change (that cannot be detected) in the gut that can happen anythime between 4 and 6 months. I realise that when you start weaning, that the majority of calories still come from milk, so guessing this in unlikely to lead to better increase in weight, so my question may not actually be about weaning afterall??? I am feeding on demand and DS was feeding every 3 hours until about a month ago when he had another dip in weight. I upped feeding to every 2.5 hours on suggestion of hv and increase in weight improved again (he went up by 15oz one week!). He has been feeding every 2.5 hours and sometimes 1.5-2 hours for the last 2-3 weeks. He is also doing briliantly at night and has been sleeping 8.30pm ish to 6am ish. I am totally happy to feed more often but it is not obvious that is what DS wants. I'm just concerned that he is not getting enough nutrition from me and wonder if there is anything else I can do to try and improve the situation without the need to wean yet. The HV has just said try to persevere with bfeeding. I'm happy to do that, I just don't want to 'stunt' his growth! He is quite long and skinny and it is really hard when relatives keep telling you that 'that boy needs some food inside him'!! Sorry for the essay!

PrettyCandles Thu 02-Jul-09 23:17:21

I think your HV is right. Just continue as you are doing.

Is he contented? Happy and interacting when he is awake? (Obviously sleeping well at night!) Pooing and weeing? Meeting developmental milestones? Those are the criteria that are most important.

It's not necessarily productive to track weightgain in such detail. Babies don't always gain at the same rate - my eldest used to grow up and then out. He would get quite skinny during a growth spurt and often grow in length without putting on much weight over a few weeks. His appetite often reduced just prior to and during a growth spurt. Then he would eat for England for a few weeks while he chubbed out and refilled his frame. Not that he was ever a chubby baby. (All of mine were and still are long slim creatures.)

You are the best thing for your LO. You are giving him exactly what he needs.

Well done, you! grin

Warwickmum Thu 02-Jul-09 23:24:10

Thanks PrettyCandles. All is well, other than rather sporadic poos, between 4 and 7 days usually but had an 8 dayer a few weeks ago! I know this can be common for bf babies so try not to stress about it! Did visit gp after 8 day one as HV was getting v twitchy about length between them, but gp said was fine and nothing backing up then. Will keep going thensmile and try to ignore relatives and friends!!

LackaDAISYcal Thu 02-Jul-09 23:31:33

You could try using something to try and increase your supply if that's what you wanted to do, but as PC said, if he is gaining and happy and meeting all the milestones and your HV is happy with his progress then carry on.

BF babies do hit a bit of a plateau and iirc it's around this time.

there is a lot of information on www.kellymom.com on BFing, especially things like slow weight gain and increasing supply.

and re the weaning, there is a theory that if they can sit unaided and are able to get food to the back of their mouths by themselves, then their gut is ready as it's unlikely one would happen before the other. you might find he is ready in a couple of more weeks to start playing with finger foods.

Sounds like you are doing a brilliant job smile

LackaDAISYcal Thu 02-Jul-09 23:33:22

oh, and there is also a bit about frequency of pooing on kellymom, but anything from twice a day to once a fornight is within the realms of normal for a BF baby. My Dd went through a phase of going once every five days or so, and it was the mother and father of all poos that no nappy could contain. It settled down to two a day though, thankfully.

tiktok Thu 02-Jul-09 23:43:51

Warwickmum, it's a shame there is concern about your baby, when nothing you say indicates there's any reason to worry. Weight gain is within normal, from what you say (it is normal for weight gain to sow, and it is not good practice to weigh babies as often as this....I mean, if you want to, then do so, but you won;t get any useful information from doing so! Frequent weighing like this is really only for babies where there is a clear problem with health or growth).

I don't see any reason for starting solids early, either

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now