Talk

Advanced search

Can I take evening primrose oil whilst bf?

(11 Posts)
ImOverHere Wed 01-Jul-09 18:33:46

I have found evening primrose quite good in the past to counter pmt. Of late I am feeling quite premenstural and it is making life a bit depressing for me and the rest to the family. Not sure if periods coming back (ds 4mths old and bf, but with dd they came back after 6wks and I bf her too), but thinking the evening primrose might help anyway.

However, if it is likely to have an adverse effect on ds then I wont take it.

Anyone know?

ImOverHere Wed 01-Jul-09 18:53:29

bump

jeminthepark Wed 01-Jul-09 18:55:56

Never heard of any

ImOverHere Wed 01-Jul-09 19:34:50

Thanks Jem, thats the same as me just thought I'd ask the wise women of mumsnet.

undomesticatedgoddess Thu 02-Jul-09 09:46:33

Hi
One of the breast feeding helplines would be able to help you as I'm sure they'll have been asked this before.

ImOverHere Thu 02-Jul-09 11:23:18

THank you. I'll have a look for one.

MildredRoper Thu 02-Jul-09 11:29:46

I went and asked the pharmacist about this and he told me not to take it.

I think this is probably more likely because no-one will have done many (if any) studies about the effects, so they don't know, rather than there has been a study and it is dangerous. But I don't know.

I've just been taking pregnacare vitamins.

MildredRoper Thu 02-Jul-09 11:31:40

If anyone tells you different can you post it on here because my pmt seems to have got loads worse since dd born.

tiktok Thu 02-Jul-09 12:07:12

www.kellymom.com/herbal/ref/herbs_e.html#eveningprimrose

Kezzabell Thu 02-Jul-09 15:06:11

I recently asked about this too, although in relation to Starflower Oil which is a higher source of GLA. I was told by the pharmacist that I should not take it whilst nursing. She had to call an advice line as she was unsure originally, and then gave me an explanation regarding proteins crossing into the breast milk which I really didn't understand. One of the other main issues was due to there being very little research on the subject. I don't know if there is a huge difference or not between Starflower and Eening Primrose Oil other than the levels of GLA.

It's interesting to see that Kellymom says it is safe as I get awful PMS, and am hoping that I don't have a repeat of the period I had at 9 weeks as I felt absolutely mental.

ImOverHere Fri 03-Jul-09 09:41:25

Thanks tiktok. I've bought it and started taking it. I found a couple of other sites that said the same thing after coming on here. I'll put some of the links for that on as well.

I think that many pharamcists are covering their backs. I'm seeing the doctor soon so I'll ask him too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now