Talk

Advanced search

Could he be teething at 15 weeks?

(9 Posts)
charleyfarleycat Wed 01-Jul-09 11:03:54

Hi ladies
Over the last few days my son has decided to really cut down on his feeds, both length of time and frequency. This is the opposite of what I'd expect in this hot weather. If I try to offer the breast he arches his back and cries so we stop. He's a big boy, around 8kg, and has always taken the boob when offered so this is all rather odd.
He's dribbling a lot and sucking his hands and I can't put him down for long. This is very different from my daughter whose behaviour didn't change at all when she was teething.
What could this be?
Also I feed only from one boob so it is getting rather large.Should I be expressing to keep my supply up?

HecatesTwopenceworth Wed 01-Jul-09 11:13:43

dunno. could be. my eldest son was born teething! And they came through - 2 tiny little top ones - when he was not many weeks old - 2 months? 3 months? blush that I am not one of these mothers who can tell you the date and time of first tooth, first step...

Anyway, It was very early because he cut his teeth on my bloody nipples and left me with SCARS!! shock and I was only able to feed for a couple of months. He used to grind. <winces at memory>

charleyfarleycat Wed 01-Jul-09 11:31:01

shock
Wow! I've always wondered how people managed to breastfeed when teeth arrive. My dd's teeth came late, so I had stopped. My son seems to be doing the opposite of her in everything so far (including sleep angry, so maybe I'll find some little pearly whites soon.
The thing is he seems to be getting whingey in the same way he does when he's hungry, but anyone would think I was trying to offer him dog poo by his reaction. The only way I've managed to feed him today is both of us on our sides in my bed. Hardly practical when I have a 3 year old and school runs to deal with!

Seeline Wed 01-Jul-09 11:40:14

Both mine had their first tooth by 4 months. I carried on bfing wiht both of them with only the occassional nip!

charleyfarleycat Wed 01-Jul-09 11:58:09

Did any fussiness occur prior to that? I have just fed him, the only way he would do it was both of us on my bed on our sides. What is this all about?

RunJHC Thu 02-Jul-09 17:52:58

Hi - I bottlefeed DS so can't comment on the BFing and teething, but just wanted to say that DS is 16 weeks and is definitely teething (as in there's a big sharp white thing growing out of his gum smile).

But before I noticed this a few days ago, last week he was really fussy about his food, wouldn't take any from the bottle then still hungry. Also back to lots of crying at nights but not wanting to feed etc. It was only when I felt his gums that I realised he was actually teething.

Now I am armed with Calgel etc and can get him to feed OK if I put gel on first, but the nights/sleep are a different matter...

Rosie29 Thu 02-Jul-09 21:10:30

Hi,
I'm having exactly the same problem at the moment. Ds is nearly 5 months, chomps on fist, covered in dribble and not eating much. Also have the crying (like he's really hungry) but refusing to eat. I think his gums are annoying him and also the heat, he's slept alot today, once I calmed him down.

weegiemum Thu 02-Jul-09 21:11:41

Sounds like teeth to me. My dd1 was exactly the same - she got her first at 10 weeks!

charleyfarleycat Fri 03-Jul-09 19:54:14

Encouraging to hear there could be a simple explanation. Get this though. We've had the usual complications with not wanting to feed during the day but I have got by with a couple of EBM bottle feeds. My boob was pretty big by bedtime so I tried to BF him but to no avail - tried sitting, lying, standing, jiggling, you name it. However, upright with a bottle he drained 8oz. What's that all about? Has he basically decided boob is no more? And it will be no more if this continues cos my supply is dwindling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now