Talk

Advanced search

Should I be concerned about weight loss ???

(3 Posts)
pop1973 Tue 30-Jun-09 14:46:29

My lo is 5 days old. Has dropped in weight by 10 ounces since the day weighed in hospital.

MW is concerned, she obviously weighed on different scales from hospital.

Does anyone know where I can hire some digital baby weigh scales for a couple of weeks, so that I can keep a track on this and compare with the MW readings. I do not want to let the lo go onto formula.

Any help appreciate ?

tiktok Tue 30-Jun-09 15:16:47

pop - the usual rule of thumb is that anything up to 10 per cent weight loss is within normal limits, so it's not the amount but the proportion that counts. If your baby was 7 pounds at birth, for example, then a loss of 10 ounces well within normal.

Your baby should have been weighed naked on digital scales.

His weight needs to be assessed together with what his 'output' - poos and wees - is, how well and effectively and often he is feeding, and other behaviours.

If there is cause for concern, then improving the feeding would be the first option - formula should not be necessary if this is addressed.

Hope this helps. Hiring digital scales yourself would be an unusual thing to do, as if your baby needs weighing frequently for some reason, the midwife should be able to do it. Weighing every day would not normally be thought of as helpful or informative, really.

joyjac Tue 30-Jun-09 17:01:54

Feed baby frequently, at least 10-12 times in 24 hours. Listen for the swallowing, so you can be sure that baby is actively transferring milk and not just 'hanging out' at the breast.
The different scales could explain some of the weight loss and if the MW is concerned she will want to reweigh the baby in a few days. A major pee or blow-out poo just before weighing could mean an oz or more difference.
Like Tiktok says, output is important. if it comes out it has gone in first. If stools are changing from the tarry black meconium to greenish brown and then to mustard colour, and baby is having plenty of wet nappies then things are going the right way.
10 ozs weight loss in a baby with a birth weight of 6 pounds is more of a concern then 10 ozs weight loss in a baby with a birth weight of 9 pounds 6 ozs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now