Talk

Advanced search

Is breast-feeding enough in hot weather

(5 Posts)
Kezzabell Tue 30-Jun-09 10:31:45

well, i kind of feel stupid asking this, after all babies are born and bred in hot climates everywhere... but i'm a little concerned as it's so hot.

My 12.5 week old son doesn't seem to be feeding for as long at the moment, so worried he's getting less fluid. Could be he's just getting more efficient at feeding. He's sleeping more during the middle of the day so seems to be having more feeds in morning/ afternoon rather than being evenly spaced over the day. He's also fussing a lot at the breast, getting quite fraught if I offer him more after winding. He has also recently had his injections and I'm aware he may be grumpy and sleepy after them.

He had recently gone down to one feed a night after going to bed at about 7pm (he never ever wanted a feed at 10/11pm) but has gone back up to a couple again as well as me making a concerted effort to try and wake him when I go to bed for a further feed to make sure he's getting a drink.

Should I also be offering water? or just stick with the more frequent smaller drinks that he is having? Possibly I just need reassurance that I'm doing the right thing for him, as so many people ask what else he's having etc..

Thanks..

CherryChoc Tue 30-Jun-09 10:35:34

You are doing fine No need to offer water before 6 months, as long as you are letting him feed when he wants, even if he seems to be feeding less.

CherryChoc Tue 30-Jun-09 10:36:09

Sorry for short message btw, nak

kathryn2804 Tue 30-Jun-09 23:38:12

Yes, no water needed!

the reason he's having frequent smaller drinks is that the thirst-quenching fore-milk is the first to arrive when baby starts feeding, so if he's just thirsty, he won't continue to feed as the milk thickens up. If he's hungry, he will carry on and feed for longer.

just go with the flow and he'll be fine.

plus they do have a growth spurt at about this age so that might explain the increased night feeds too.

Kezzabell Wed 01-Jul-09 08:34:35

Thanks for the reassurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now