Talk

Advanced search

Storing EBM in fridge

(8 Posts)
leftangle Mon 29-Jun-09 23:17:50

Just had a search on the web for how long I could store my expressed milk. Answers ranged from 6days to 24hours. Help!

gigglewitch Mon 29-Jun-09 23:24:35

on the la leche training I did, guidance went at 72 hours - look here smile

joyjac Mon 29-Jun-09 23:34:45

Gigglewitch, it says on that link that up to 8 days is "acceptable" shock (72 hours being "ideal")

gigglewitch Mon 29-Jun-09 23:42:19

well yes, it can last that long I believe... I kept it up to about 5 days with no probs for my dc - at a point just before I went back to work in each case when I was expressing lots and storing it.
FWIW, my dses wouldn't drink it if it had been frozen hmm - must have tasted different or something - so I stuck to keeping it in the fridge for slightly longer if needed (so why I know it's fine after 5 days) smile

salbysea Mon 29-Jun-09 23:50:23

oh no! I been saving up frozen bags, but never tried him on it (only freshly squeezed, or from the fridge), must do a trail run with some before I sent him off to his nans for a day or something with just defrosted milk!

(sorry for going a bit OT)

MarsLady Tue 30-Jun-09 00:23:43

Remember to store it at the very back of the fridge. smile

joyjac Tue 30-Jun-09 14:49:58

And be sure that your fridge is <4 degrees C. It would be such a shame to have that precious milk spoil.
I think I personally left it up to 5 days, somehow 8 days seems very long.

Kezzabell Tue 30-Jun-09 17:40:22

Our NCT counsellor told us the rule of 5, 5 hours for room temp, 5 days for fridge etc.

I too have had problems with my son refusing defrosted frozen EBM. I recently found a couple of threads regarding levels of lipase in breast milk and how high levels can greatly affect the taste, and the method of scalding the milk before freezing it to stop breakdown of fats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now