Talk

Advanced search

How many breast feeds a day at eight months?

(4 Posts)
MrsSleepyhead Mon 29-Jun-09 14:38:29

Dd is just over eight months and currently on three solid meals and four breast feeds a day.

Should I be looking to drop one of these breast feeds? Her current routine is:

7.30ish - bf
8.30ish - breakfast
10.30ish - bf
midday - lunch
2.30ish - bf
5pm - dinner
6.30ish - bf

Should it be this 10.30am feed I should be looking to drop? She is not always really hungry for lunch so this may help, although I do worry about her not getting enough milk.

I'm unsure as to whether milk should still be main part of her diet, supported by solids, or whether I need to be ensuring she is well established on three solid meals a day at this stage?

(btw, she wakes up anything from once to three times in the night and I feed her back to sleep, she hasn't once slept through!)

Thanks

Rosa Mon 29-Jun-09 14:57:59

I will watch with interest as my dd is coming up to 8 mths and is just the same!!!! I was thinking of dropping either mid morning / mid pm and replacig with a yoghurt or fruit however I was under the impression that milk is vital source until 1 year so I haven't done anything yet !

ihavenosecrets Mon 29-Jun-09 15:03:14

I don't think you can say it depends on the baby. Ds was only on 3 feeds a day at 8 months and at 9 months he dropped to 2 feeds. He did eat quite a lot, he was on 3 solid meals a day.

WoTmania Mon 29-Jun-09 17:49:28

up til the age of 1 your babies main food needs should be met by milk.
This is quite typical. DS2 was feeding LOADS at that age.
HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now