Talk

Advanced search

So, when and how do you change from bottle to cup for milk?

(6 Posts)
laurawantsababy Sun 28-Jun-09 20:56:37

Dd is 1 yo and I have read that you should try to move to a cup/beaker for milk around that time.

She has 8oz in the morning and the same in the evening.

Do you just buy a big beaker and give it to them warm still? Im happy to continue with a bottle for now but am worried that it may affect her teeth.

PS PFB as you can probably tell!!

Confuzzeled Sun 28-Jun-09 21:03:30

I think my dd started using a cup about 9 months because she didn't like bottles and I had to start work.

Not sure when the advised age is though.

K8Cocker Sun 28-Jun-09 21:39:16

My 17 month old still has 9fl oz at night from a bottle. In fairness he only has 9 teeth (late one on that front). We clean his teeth twice a day though. He also won't take milk from a cup at the moment.

I shouldn't worry for now - my neighbour's boy was on a bottle till recently and he's 2 and a half now.

I'm also unsure of teh "formal" advice.

xx :O)

feedthegoat Sun 28-Jun-09 21:44:26

I'm blush to say that my ds was nearly 3. It was exremely difficult for the first few days and we eventually settled on a special cup but within a few weeks he wouldn't use that. I have just accepted that he won't drink milk and make sure he has plenty of alternatives.

Casserole Sun 28-Jun-09 22:08:47

I think they say 1 partly because it's easier to get them established on it before they get to the stage where they won't change and it becomes a big battle. MOst people I know seem to do it at either about 1 or about 3 because anything in between was a nightmare when they tried.

We switched over DS's morning milk into a beaker when he was about 9/10 months, and his bedtime milk into a beaker gradually between 11 and 13 months (tbh it was me hanging onto the bottle not him!) And yeah, just do the usual warm formula at first. Now DS has cows milk dueing the day but I still generally do formula at bedtime, just cos I've been sucked into the whole worrying about how much iron he's getting thing and I figure if he has one formula beaker most days that at least gives him a good start (in case my cooking is particularly woeful that week!)
HTH x

laurawantsababy Mon 29-Jun-09 10:25:36

Thanks all, I wont worry for now then! She only has 4 teeth and they are brushed twice a day so I guess she will be ok!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now