Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Alleged oral thrush in BF 3 week old...

(8 Posts)
norktasticninja Sat 27-Jun-09 19:05:44

DS was ill this week so I took him to the use doctor to be checked over... The doctor claims he has oral thrush because his tongue is white and prescribed a course of treatment. Thrush is a well known cause of fever and snot don't y' knowhmm.

TBH I'm pretty much certain DS's tounge is just white because he drinks milk. The white coating on his tongue scrapes away really easily and I have no symptoms of breast thrush whatsoever. What do you think? Oh, if it's relevant DS does have thrush on his bum which I've been treating for about 5 days now.

norktasticninja Sat 27-Jun-09 19:08:54

I took DS to the hospital to be properly checked for his fever later that day. He was fine but I forgot to ask about the dodgy diagnosis of thrush - 'twas the last thing on my mind...

Grendle Sat 27-Jun-09 19:12:52

Could you get a second opinion from a HV perhaps? If he has thrush on his bottom then it is possible it's in his mouth too. Does he have any spots on his gums or any other symptoms of thrush? This leaflet is helpful.

norktasticninja Sat 27-Jun-09 19:22:28

Thanks Grendle! Great leaflet. It seems neither of us has any symptoms (apart from the white tongue) so I'll wait with the medication for now. will keep a good eye on it though and see the HV if there is any change smile

Grendle Sat 27-Jun-09 19:24:42

Glad to help smile. I'd suggest being absolutely obsessive with hygeine after nappy changes, as the last thing you need is to accidentally transfer it to the mouth/breast and it is easily passed on. Washing handtowels at 60C would probably be a sensible precaution.

norktasticninja Sat 27-Jun-09 19:33:24

I've been really careful about hygiene - DD had thrush on her bum as a newborn too so luckily I knew the drill! Not the faintest idea where they got it from though...

thisisyesterday Sat 27-Jun-09 19:37:04

all 3 of mine had a white tongue justfrom milk,.

if you can scrape it away easily, and you and he have no other symptoms then i would not bother with the treatment.

ds1 and ds2 both also had thrush in their mouths and it was very, very different. the white coating was much thicker, and I couldn't wipe it off. they were uncomfortable nursing, used to clamp down a lot and of course I got it in my nipples which was the real give away!

anyway, what I would do is just keep an eye on it. if the white on his tongue gets any thicker or if you start to feel any pain then maybe think about starting the treatment. otherwise i'd leave things as they are

norktasticninja Sat 27-Jun-09 21:01:09

Thanks thisisyesterday, that's good to hear smile

Thinking back the pediatrician did have a look in his mouth - surely he'd have said something if he thought DS had thrush? I'll definitely still keep an eye on it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now