Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How long after alcohol can I bf?

(5 Posts)
Schoolgirl Sat 27-Jun-09 09:01:10

Am excl bf 6 mth ds and went out last night for the first time since I got pregnant.

I had 3 glasses white wine, 3 pimms & lemonade and half a brandy glass of amaretto all between 8pm and 11.30pm.

I've "pumped and dumped" 6 ounces from each breast this morning. My question is when will it be okay to feed him? I can't find anything reliable on t'internet to tell him how long alcohol stays in bf but I'm hoping I can feed him before lunch.

Any thoughts....

ninja Sat 27-Jun-09 09:03:37

You don't even need to pump and dump (from what I was told by the bf advisor), although it's never bad to make sure is it.

Aparantly the concentration of alcohol in your milk will be about the same as in a glass of orange juice.

You'll be fine.

I hope you enjoyed the night out and aren't suffering too much today

seeker Sat 27-Jun-09 09:06:03

I used to do both at the same time blush

PortAndLemon Sat 27-Jun-09 09:06:28

Alcohol leaves breastmilk at the same rate it leaves the bloodstream, which is roughly a unit an hour. Assuming they were 2-unit glasses of wine you probably had about ten units last night, so even if you drank all of it at 11.30 it should be out of your system by 9.30 this morning (ten hours later). In practice as you drank some of it earlier in the evening it was probably out of your system before that. And you probably didn't actually need to pump and dump this morning as alcohol levels would have been very low and unlikely to affect your baby (but if you felt happier and more reassured pumping and dumping, then that's fine).

Schoolgirl Sat 27-Jun-09 09:08:41

Oh thanks guys that's really reassuring smile

I had a fab night thanks ninja - although I look a lot like amy winehouse right now so you can imagine how I feel grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now