Talk

Advanced search

Question on keeping bootles in the fridge

(14 Posts)
puddytats Sat 14-May-05 15:23:29

There was a thread on this a little while ago but I can't find it!!

Do you need to keep formula bottles in the fridge. I did for ds but it has just dawned on me the bottles that they provide you with in the hospital are not.

As long as they are sterile and kept in a cool place does it really matter?

tiffini Sat 14-May-05 15:25:21

the formula milk they give you in hospital is poured into the bottle straight from a carton, cartons are ok at room temp, but when making your own they do need to go in the fridge.

stitch Sat 14-May-05 15:27:19

i think its a case of better safe than sorry?
the bottles in the hospital are longlife. uht. the formula you make up isnt. even in the fridge they tell you to discard after 24 hours.
also, i think with newborns you need to be super carful. whilst with older babies, who have built up some immunity, its not such a deal
having said that, my dh used tap water to cool down boiled water for my 8 day old and he is now eight, and an annoying brat!

tiffini Sat 14-May-05 15:27:22

sometimes the ones in hospitals are also in bottles with a screw cap, and they have bottle tops that screw straight on, but once the air has hit them they can only be kept for 1 hour

puddytats Sat 14-May-05 15:28:06

The bottles that they gave me were little sealed ones (glass) with seperate teats that you screwed on.

Was hoping that someone would provide me with the link to the other thread as I have searched and searched and cannot find it!

Newbarnsleygirl Sat 14-May-05 15:29:05

I think they do need to go in the fridge but having said that I made my bottles up before I went to bed and they were left out till I got up in the morning. Then I would put them in the fridge.

Also if I went out for the day the bottles would get left in the change bag and they were always ok.

puddytats Sat 14-May-05 15:31:24

sorry crossed threads!!

tiffini Sat 14-May-05 15:35:00

i read a while ago, that new research suggests bottles of milk not kept chilled untill ready to consume grow a particular bacteria that has been linked to meningitis.

ionesmum Sat 14-May-05 15:42:06

When I was bottlefeeding my first, I used to sterilise my bottles by steam and then keep them in the fridge. If I was giving carton milk, which I did most of the time, I'd just get a bottle and pour in the milk and feed dd1. If I was using powdered, I'd mix the milk in the bottles and stand them in cold water to chill them rapidly, then put them in the fridge. Unused milk got thrown after 24hrs. Little ones are so prone to tummy bugs, it is just not worth risking anything.

stitch Sat 14-May-05 15:44:03

congrat s on your littel one puddytat!

puddytats Sat 14-May-05 15:45:53

Thank you for your swift replies, I will keep putting them in the fridge - was just trying to think of ways to speed up night feeds and not wake up ds!!

puddytats Sat 14-May-05 15:47:07

Thank you stitch!

tiffini Sat 14-May-05 15:47:26

you could use cartons at night, just pour straight into a sterile bottle.

starlover Sat 14-May-05 16:16:25

puddytats, if my ds has a bottle at night I put the right amount of water in the bottle and leave it out so it stays at room temp. I then just add the formula when he wakes and voila!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: