Talk

Advanced search

What drinking vessel should I use?

(7 Posts)
ChocOrange05 Tue 23-Jun-09 17:50:36

DS (7mo) is mixed fed, he has 2/3 BF a day and one bottle at 6.30pm.

During mealtimes he drinks water from a Doidy Cup (or any other available open cup if we are out) - he needs help holding the handles and sometimes tips is a bit far back but apart from that he's pretty good at using it.

I am thinking about trying to get him to use something other than a bottle for his night feed (he seems to be drinking less and less so I don't know if the flow is too slow?) so I can eventually move him onto a cup for his milk feeds.

But I don't know what to use - I guess I want something that is easier than a cup as he often gets quite sleepy when feeding so I don't think he'd be able to hold the cup for the whole feed.

Any suggestions please?

ChocOrange05 Tue 23-Jun-09 22:27:25

anyone??

AcademicMum Wed 24-Jun-09 11:07:27

Does he seem happy with how much he is drinking from the bottle, or does he seem frustrated and still wanting more? If he seems happy, I'd just leave him. If that feed was a breastfeed instead of a bottle feed you'd never know he was drinking less. I assume his weight gain etc is otherwise fine? If so, he'll indicate that he wants more.

ChocOrange05 Wed 24-Jun-09 15:12:20

Thanks AcademicMum he seems happy with it but it has been getting less and less and last night he only wanted 4oz (used to take 8oz). Last night I took the lid off the bottle and he drank from it like a cup and had a further 2 ounces. I think, after drinking from the cup in the day, he finds the bottle too slow flowing now.

Is it normal/ok for a 7mo to drink his milk from a cup?

AcademicMum Wed 24-Jun-09 15:23:16

I think its OK. DS2 never took to a bottle really (he didn't seem to know what to do with it), so he now drinks formula from either a sippy cup or a one with a straw and water from a doidy cup. I don't think it matters too much so long as they get enough nutrients some how. DS2 takes even less before bed though (4oz is a lot for him!) - he quite often only takes 2oz immediately before bed, but I've now decided to just go with it and stop worrying which has the bonus that he doesn't get stressed before bed from me trying to get something to drink down his neck!

ChocOrange05 Wed 24-Jun-09 15:33:28

Does he sleep ok with a small bedtime feed though? I am still at the stage of trying to shove it down him blush for fear of waking in the night.

AcademicMum Wed 24-Jun-09 17:02:10

That was my worry too, but it doesn't seem to affect him. When we were trying to get more into him we would spend up to an hour trying - him getting stressed, us getting stressed and him getting to bed far too late so then everyone tired. He would often only take around 1oz more in the end anyway for all that stress so we just gave up and left him to it. He seems fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now