Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal for 9 week old to have 8 bottle feeds a day?

(4 Posts)
Kingsford Mon 22-Jun-09 06:34:20

My 9 week old daughter is currently having 8 bottle feeds a day - approx 120-140ml at each feed - is this normal? She's feeding every 2.5/3 hours approx, with a 5 hour stretch between 10pm and 3am.

I thought once she'd move onto formula she'd eat less often - not more!

Any thoughts?

thanks

poppy34 Mon 22-Jun-09 07:10:55

Yes - seem to remember being similarly awe struck at dd at that age - think it dropped to about 6 feeds a day with 180ml at ten weeks - is she finishing the bottles? If so have you tried putting a little more in to see of bit more may help her go longer? Although dd seemed to just grow out of needing so many feeds in time.

Lulumama Mon 22-Jun-09 09:22:37

yes, perfectly normal. formula is actually a tiny bit less calorific than breast milk. going 2.5 - 3 hours at this age is great as is a 5 hour stretch at night

feed her responsively, when she is hungry, with as much as she wants and she will be fine

she still has a v small tummy that needs filling regularly

if she is finishing hte bottles, add another ounce, but going 2.5 - 3 hours between feeds is fine

brettgirl2 Mon 22-Jun-09 16:13:21

That't more than my daughter has, but I think you've got to be guided by the baby. If that's how much she takes then that's what she needs. Mine takes about 800ml a day in total.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now