Talk

Advanced search

Expressing: can I save leftover freshly expressed breastmilk?

(6 Posts)
Wilkiepedia Sun 21-Jun-09 17:06:57

Just expressed for first time so DH could give week old DS2 a bottle. Got 3oz out, DS2 only took 1.5oz, could I have chucked the leftover into another bottle I did immediately after the first (another 2oz) or do I need to chuck it??

Also, can I add milk to previously expressed bottles in fridge (for future ref).

moondog Sun 21-Jun-09 17:10:17

Oooh, clever you!
Was it heated?
If not,I would have added it.

You can express bits and bobs, add them together at end of day and freeze which is handy.

Wilkiepedia Sun 21-Jun-09 17:36:09

Thank you - I did feel mildly proud of my achievement grin (although a bit like a cow having her udder milkes - big up to the electric pump!!)

Next time I will add it then. ALthough now I know he only takes 1.5-2oz at a feed I can make the bottle accordingly when I want to express.

drlove8 Sun 21-Jun-09 18:02:42

you can get milk containers which you can freeze... avent do some , or you can freeze their bottles. you can also get disposable milk bags.

moondog Sun 21-Jun-09 23:28:37

You don't need special containers.
I just used clean jars.

confusedfirsttimemum Mon 22-Jun-09 19:21:14

I was advised that EBM could be kept for the next feed but no longer in this situation - as some bacteria will find their way back into the milk from the baby sucking on the bottle and their saliva

I would agree with splitting the EBM into smaller bottles and adding more for a feed if necessary. Less frustrating than tipping hard won milk down the drain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now