Talk

Advanced search

Switching from Breastfeeding to bottlefeeding

(6 Posts)
Kempie101 Sun 21-Jun-09 16:28:50

Help!! Advise needed.

I have been exclusively breastfeeding for nearly seven months but am finding my baby just wants more and more milk and I am not producing enough to meet this demand. He is eating three times a day and dont want to increase the amount of food he is having for now, its milk he needs.
He eats what ever he is given and will drink water or juice from a beaker, but as soon as I give him formula milk then he closes his mouth, turns his head vigriously and spits out any of the milk that has gone in his mouth.
I have tried giving milk through bottle with lots of different teats, a beaker, at all tempretures, I have tried different brands of milk, sitting him on my lap facing outwards, sitting him in highchair, my husband has tried giving him the milk. I have tried giving him a bit of breastmilk first then formula and vise virsa. I cant think of any thing else to get him to take formula milk.
So after that long story my question is what do you suggest, what have you done to get your baby to take formula milk?

dinkystinky Sun 21-Jun-09 16:36:31

mixed formula with breastmilk - 50/50 - and warmed it up - then decreased bm proprtion over time with DS1. That seemed to do the trick.

CherryChoc Tue 23-Jun-09 11:07:05

Sorry no advice, just wanted to bump for you

bzzbee Thu 25-Jun-09 07:49:34

Bump

I have the exact same problem (dd nearly 8m) - i'm trying formula not due to supply issues but due to razor sharp teeth causing intense pain and injury when breastfeeding

AcademicMum Thu 25-Jun-09 13:14:39

Will he take expressed milk? If so, as dinkystinky says try a bottle of expressed milk with maybe even less than 50% formula, could even try 10% or 25% formula to start with, then over a couple of weeks increase the proportion of formula and decrease the amount of EBM. This should get him to slowly accept the different flavour of the formula. Worked for us smile.

Kempie101 Tue 30-Jun-09 11:44:43

No he wont take expressed milk, it is so very strange. Someone has suggested trying Soya milk or goats milk, so might give this a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now