Talk

Advanced search

Thought that I'd avoided mastitis - WHAM - THOUGHT WRONG!!

(8 Posts)
walkingonthemoon Sun 21-Jun-09 13:45:03

Warning - feeling v.v.v. sorry for myself!!!

DS was 14 months yesterday - have had everything fom cracked nipples to thrush but thought that I had escaped Mastitis but out of the blue, it hit yesterday.

Oh my god - It's just bloody awful isn't it? Had to be helped up stairs and undressed by DH as I was shaking so much and chilled to the core. I think that ds has had good feeds last night and this morning (pumped after but only got drops out) so think 'unblocked' but my boob feels like Amir Khan has been using it as a punchbag!

No chills this morning just feel delicate and wiped out (and tetchy!)

Any advice wise mumsnetters? Should I be doing anything else? S'pose just need virtual hugs as the best I got from my mum was "I thought only cows got that?" shock

belgo Sun 21-Jun-09 13:49:19

Yes it's awful isn't it. My breast looked like a tractor had run over it.

Feed lots, massage lots, use a warm compress (infused with ginger if you have it), hot showers and use the water to massage, rest, paracetamol and ibuprofen for the pain.

belgo Sun 21-Jun-09 13:50:15

and feed in lots of different positions - I even fed ds with him slung over my shoulder to try and clear the blockage.

duchesse Sun 21-Jun-09 13:59:13

Got it for the first time with my third child. Thought I had flu. Was in bed shivering for three days. My sister was carted off to A&E with suspected meningitis that turned out to be mastitis. Tis not pleasant.

walkingonthemoon Sun 21-Jun-09 14:06:16

The problem is that he only feeds twice a day, morning and night. Should I express now? Thought that I should as the stimulation would produce more milk which is something I don't want to happen?

twopeople Sun 21-Jun-09 14:06:40

Message withdrawn

belgo Sun 21-Jun-09 14:07:48

If your breast feels full, try and bf your child. That's the best way to get the milk flowing.

walkingonthemoon Sun 21-Jun-09 18:33:45

Appetite back - stuffed myself at teatime. Slightly less tender boobwise but still v sore. If not significantly relieved by morning, gonna go to docs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now