Talk

Advanced search

Antibiotics - don't want to but might have to.

(20 Posts)
treedelivery Sun 21-Jun-09 06:36:14

I probably know the answers to these worries of mine but my head has melted so pamper me......smile

I'm bf dd2, who has dairy intolerance and has had many many gut issues. We are at the stage when her gut has healed, no more goo for poo, happy baby hurrah.

I had mega ab for ductal thrush at a couple of weeks old [oh now there is a pig of a complaint], and I really hate the fact that she was exposed to ab so early, when her gut flora is so precious to her, especially given her ishooos.

I gave her baby pre biotics after [though with dificulty and not religiously, was so tired I didn't work at it like I oought to have done].

Now I have tonsillitis. Have had since Wed, with a sore throat for the week before too. But now into full on fevers, can't swallow without yelping, headache neckache, earache and so on. I might need to admit defeat here and get some ab for it. Am maxed out on pain relief and it isn't really helping much.

So - please stroke my hand and tell me I am not a bad mum for exposing her - or tell me I am and to ride it out, nearly there, it will go - or give me some tips on how to protect her to the max when I'm on them - or some tips on how to get better without them.

But don't say tcp, had a gargle today and it made me barf and boy did that nip a bit!

Am really fed up sad

Jumente Sun 21-Jun-09 06:51:06

Oh God, you poor thing sad

Well, how old is she now? This will make a difference to how badly it affects her, I think.

She could take a probiotic whilst you are on them - not sure if there is a child friendly version of saccharomyces, which is yeast based therefore doesn't mind antibiotics in the same way as say acidophilus or such...you could certainly take it alongside your antibiotic, but I'm not sure if that would help dd.

('diarsafe' from a wholefood shop, about 5.99 - check the dtecta website for your nearest stockist)

Sorry you are facing this. I had struggles last year taking heavy duty a-b's for a superbug and none of the Drs knew whether it was safe to bf. But I did and it was fine.

Hope you feel better soon, garlic and manuka honey good for throats I believe, but I think you might need the a-bs this time and if you do don't feel guilty.

treedelivery Sun 21-Jun-09 06:59:54

Morning - thanks for the answer.

She's 5.5 months, vast improvement on 2 weeks anyway!

What came of your troubles?

Jumente Sun 21-Jun-09 07:03:01

I got better but it took repeated courses of something they 'do not like to prescribe' hmm so was v scary.

I researched it and it didn't pass into breast milk thank goodness, but he was already over a year old so apparently that means the amount wouldn't be so worrying proportionately to body weight iyswim.

Sorry you are feeling so rotten. Had you a consultant re her previous problems that you might be able to talk to?

treedelivery Sun 21-Jun-09 07:08:19

Hmm - well yes, but I only met him once and had to explain why 6 months wasn't 'delayed weaning' as he put it, particulary with her history of intolerance <<bangs head on table>>

Am guessing he might think I was a total nutter if I started on with virgin gut etc grin

Glad you were cool and able to continue till you chose/choose otherwise.

Jumente Sun 21-Jun-09 07:11:53

oh dear he sounds about as useful as a bottle of formula in the circs grin

I am with you on virgin gut. Hopefully she is well enough recovered now for it not to have too great an impact. I know how hard it is to be in that situation, will be thinking of you x

SparkleandShine Sun 21-Jun-09 07:30:59

tree - I think it's best for her if you're better iyswim....

EachPeachPearMum Sun 21-Jun-09 09:01:40

You can't leave it as it is- tonsilitis is so horrible and you will just feel more and more rotten.
She is so much bigger and stronger now, and I'm sure she will recover much more quickly... she's almost ready for weaning, so it should be easier to get the pre-biotics down her, as she will be much more keen on shoving things in her mouth.

treedelivery Sun 21-Jun-09 11:23:58

Good point EPPM, I could put some in mush and begin weaning at a spoonful a day till she's a good bit older.

Thanks Sparkle.

stripeywoollenhat Sun 21-Jun-09 11:42:49

hot whiskey out of the question, i guess.... i'd go for the abs - not as if you can kill it with rest, is it...? and eppm's right, it'll be much easier to get the prebiotics into her now.

treedelivery Sun 21-Jun-09 15:17:39

Right. Will attend GP tomorrow I think, unless all is suddenly well. Not looking promisisng I have to say!

Supposed to be taking DH for father's day chinese meal with the tribe. Idea of a prawn cracker not appealing shock [shudder]

booksgalore Sun 21-Jun-09 15:36:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

treedelivery Sun 21-Jun-09 15:38:29

Hi books!!

Ace to 'see' you.

Tonsillitis seems to be doing the rounds. even my gums are sore today. Glum.

Hurrah for no thrush.

See you on the thread, I was away 2 weeks and I haven't been able to catch up at all. So I just carried on and am catching up as I go blush

dinkystinky Tue 23-Jun-09 18:55:41

Treedelivery - wanted to check how your DD reacted to the antibiotics. I have an abcess on my leg (yuck) and have to take killer ABs - 3pills 4 times a day - and am worried about the effect on DS2 (now nearly 5 months). Did you take any probiotics to try to balance out the effect on DD?

treedelivery Tue 23-Jun-09 22:33:50

I didn't go - am sitting it out sad

It's nearly better now though smile.

Had I taken them I would have given her supplements to be sure. They are tricky to give though, they have to be protected so the acid in the digestive tract doesn't destroy them. Apparently putting tem on the nipple is the way forward!

DebiNewberry Tue 23-Jun-09 22:38:35

Well, dd2 had a full year of prophylactic antibiotics from birth. Needs must sometimes. We gave her probiotics (biocare infant bifidus I think?).

treedelivery Tue 23-Jun-09 22:50:03

We had these from my mega breastduct thrush days udos choice

Felt I was shaking it and didn't want to risk her digestion after the months it's taken us to recover from the mik intolerance. Had it gone on I'd have gone to GP though.

dinkystinky Wed 24-Jun-09 18:25:30

Thanks guys - will give the infant probiotics a go. Started the ABs 2 days a go and they're making me feel sick and DS2 throw up after most feeds so think a pro-biotic is the way to go.

treedelivery Wed 24-Jun-09 18:35:39

Go for it dinky. Hope you feel better soon, a/b are a pita aren't they?

Hemp oil is also brilliant and thought to help the gut heal. Online is the easiest place to get it, just sling it over cereal or into yogurt [you can't cook with it].

dinkystinky Wed 24-Jun-09 18:47:41

Brilliant - thanks treedelivery. Glad you're on the mend at last - tonsillitis is horrible - especially when its lovely weather out....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now