Talk

Advanced search

Constipated 9 month old

(8 Posts)
aurorec Sat 20-Jun-09 22:58:17

My son is BFed and weaned on vegs/fruit (hasn't had any meat yet).
His normal routine is BM breakfast (early then again mid-morning) pureed veg or fruit + BM for lunch, BM snack then again pureed veg/fruit + BM for dinner.
He hasn't had a proper dirty nappy since Tuesday (possibly Wednesday, I wasn't paying much attention until I realised it had been more than 2 days.)
Today I've had a small hard poo and nothing else.

He doesn't appear to be in pain, he doesn't cry and his stomach feels soft. Is there anything I should be giving him to help things along?
He's about to pop a couple of teeth by the way I don't know if that makes any difference.

All suggestions appreciated!

poorbuthappy Sat 20-Jun-09 23:01:19

Prunes, all the way.
My DTs have been horribly constipated over the past few weeks due to weaning.
HV advised prunes, I give it to them about once a week mixed in with ready brek for breakfast and they love it! If they are still constipated then they get prunes on their own (has to be in juice not syrup) a few more times a week...hope this helps!

Marthasmama Sat 20-Jun-09 23:06:03

Apricots are also good to get things moving. You can either give fresh, but dried ones seem to work more effectively. You'd need to rehydrate them and then purée them as dried apricots are a chocking hazard for little ones. DD is 8 months old and I have used apricots to help clear her out when she needs it. Oh and make sure you get the brown ones without sulphur in them, not the orange ones.

aurorec Sat 20-Jun-09 23:12:32

Thanks for the tips.
When you say brown apricots, you mean dried brown right?

I've never heard of sulphur in apricots?

Just to check- constipation in itself isn't dangerous to him is it? And what are the foods I should avoid?

Marthasmama Sat 20-Jun-09 23:20:21

Oh sorry, yes I mean brown dried ones. They use sulphur in the orange ones.

Marthasmama Sat 20-Jun-09 23:22:05

Oh and foods to avoid.... Bananas are terrible for causing constipation as are starchy veg like potatoes. Try giving a higher percentage of fruit than veggies for a while which could also help things along.

DitaVonCheese Sat 20-Jun-09 23:23:05

We've had almost the same experience over the past few weeks though we seem to have moved on to big sticky poops now.

Sulphur dioxide is used as a preservative in some foods, including dried apricots (helps them keep their orange colour) but can cause allergic reactions I think.

DD loves dried apricots - I open them up down the cut so they're sort of butterfly-shaped but otherwise give them to her whole and she just sucks on them (no teeth yet). She's BLWed though, don't know if that makes a difference.

I don't think doctors even count it as constipation until you hit 10 days. I started a thread about our situation here if it helps

nannynz Sun 21-Jun-09 11:50:40

You could try some water at meal times as well as apricots and prunes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now