Talk

Advanced search

What feeds does your 5 month old have?

(6 Posts)
Daffodilly Sat 20-Jun-09 21:20:50

DS is 5 months and breastfed. He usually has about 5 feeds is 24 hours - first at about 8AM and last about 11PM. But he seems to be spacing them out more now and I think he will have to drop one of them soon as I can't fit 5 in (unless I wait up until midnight to do the last one). I am nervous he may then wake in the night for the 5th feed.

I know they are all different, but just wondering what other babies of his age are doing to know what would be realistic to expect?

Daffodilly Tue 23-Jun-09 17:08:09

Can anyone help or reassure me?

He is now down to 4 feeds in 24 hours - e.g. so far today 7AM, noon, 5PM and he will probably only have one more big feed before bedtime. Is this really enough? I mean he seems fine, he sleeps a lot but always has, lots of wet nappies, etc - but it doesn't seem much. I had to wake him just now to feed him the 5PM as I felt 5 hours was long enough to go in the day.

Should I just be counting myself lucky?

PS - my mum thinks I should wean him, but no idea why as he certainly doesn't seem hungry!

Shanster Tue 23-Jun-09 18:15:46

My 5 month old has 5 feeds a day, and sometimes wakes for a 6th a night. Don't think you have much to worry about, if he is gaining weight I'm sure he is fine.

Daffodilly Tue 23-Jun-09 20:39:23

Thanks for your reply Shanster - he is just so different from my DD and I was starting to worry he isn't getting enough.

dan39 Tue 23-Jun-09 22:22:57

Read your post with a big sigh - my 5mo is feeding two hourly round the clock....I am so tired at times I can barely see...

I read somewhere recently that 4 should be the minimum number of feeds in 24 hours, but as Shanster says, go by weight/healthyness etc. And enjoy!!

Daffodilly Thu 25-Jun-09 21:18:47

Thanks Dan. I know it could be a LOT harder. He is a big boy so probably why he is down to 4-5 feeds (for now).

Two hourly sounds very tough. I know a few people with similar age/feeds and have introduced solids at 5 1/2 months making a huge difference - so hang in there. At least there is something else to try pretty soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now