Talk

Advanced search

Can a FF 5mo baby be "fat"?!

(10 Posts)
Lissya Sat 20-Jun-09 20:50:26

My 5mo is FF and is midway between the 50th and 75th percentile lines on the chart for both weight and height, which should point to an OK weight for height.

However in the last few weeks she is definitely starting to look, well, pretty chunky. Rolls on rolls etc and the waist on clothes such as dungarees are very close fitting if not getting tight. I will have to get start getting the 6-9m clothes just so they fit her on the middle.

I know it's good for babies to be rounded and chubby but it does seem to appear that touch more than chubby IYSWIM? She is on 5 feeds of around 200ml (around 7 oz) a day which is as per the formula packet instructions for her weight but I am wondering should I drop it by say 20ml per feed ie 180ml or 6.5oz? Would she then be lacking in fluids and if so should I then give an ounce of water in between?

I asked the nurse ages if she thought baby was fat ago but she just said said "What's wrong with fat?" which wasn't very helpful, I suppose I was wanting her to advise on if it's possible to be overfeeding a FF baby and what to do about it.

Any thoughts?

itwasntme Sat 20-Jun-09 20:54:42

I wouldn't change anything. Both my children were very chunky at that age - dd was breastfed, ds was formula fed. Your baby will be more active soon and will start looking less roly poly.

Your feeds look fine for your baby's age.

Lizzylou Sat 20-Jun-09 20:58:11

DS1 and Ds2 were 98th percentile (Ds1 from 3 weeks and DS2 from birth)
DS1 in particular was very podgy, all on BM.

So, my short answer is no, of course not.

In a few months she will be crawling and moving far more (be prepared!)

DS1 is a skinny 5 year old now.

Sidge Sat 20-Jun-09 20:59:44

If her height and weight are proportionate then you really have nothing to worry about.

Certainly don't restrict her feeds. Babies should be fed as much milk as they want as often as they want it.

(Obviously if you are regularly feeding her chips and cake I would advise to knock that on the head!)

Lissya Sat 20-Jun-09 21:04:04

Thanks itwasntme.

It's my 1st baby so although I hear babies start burning off the extra when they are on the move, I haven't had the opportunity to see it for myself before.

Also, people say things like "what a big girl", "filling out isn't she" etc. I know I am not overfeeding according to the recommendations on the packet for weight and I don't make her finish a feed if she isn't interested. She is does plenty of kicking and arm waving so she's as active as she can be for 5mo. Just don't know why she looks so roly-poly.

She does have (lovely) wide, big facial features, so she's not a small narrow-set face perched atop a chunky body IYSWIM. It is probably just her natural build...

Lissya Sat 20-Jun-09 21:12:15

Thanks Lizzielou and Sidge.

I find myself defending it when people say "Ooh, she's certainly growing!" etc by saying "She's actually only on the 66th percentile" and "She only eats the correct amount according to the charts you know!" etc then I feel angry with myself that I feel conscious or even care that others think she is heading towards, well, fat. If not already fat. When I know I am definitely not overfeeding and I do lots of active things with her, not just leave her on a bouncy chair.

<and breathes> Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. I shouldn't care what others think as long as she's healthy and happy (which she is). smile

Lizzylou Sat 20-Jun-09 21:15:36

Oh Lissya, I do feel your pain, I used to have

"You should bottle your breastmilk"
"Are you sure he is only 6mths old?" Like I didn't know my own baby's age, they'd thought he was nearly one!
And my lovely (but very blunt) Nan said
"You feed that baby too much"

With DS1 I was so unconfident and worried it all really got to me, with DS2 I was far more relaxed and anyway he started life at 10lb 11oz, so was never going to be a skinny minny!

Just ignore, your DD sounds wonderful, it is a lovely age 5mths, enjoy her smile

Lissya Sat 20-Jun-09 21:25:55

Thanks Lizzielou!

I am really enjoying her, she's a brilliant little character and judging from all her arm-waving and leg kicking she'll be off like a shot once she's mobile!

I remember that a friend's DS was a lovely chubby baby with rolls on rolls but now aged 5 is a slim little thing who is never that bothered about eating, so she now worries about getting him to put on weight!

Lizzylou Sat 20-Jun-09 21:28:38

Babyproof, quick! grin
It's amazing the speeds they can get up to!

Lissya Sat 20-Jun-09 21:55:23

Yes, am preparing to order persuade my PIL to babyproof their enormous fancy pond complete with loads of koi carp (their pride and joy) now.... but that's a whole new thread!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now