Talk

Advanced search

reduced (breast) milk intake since starting solids

(8 Posts)
moaningminnie2020 Fri 19-Jun-09 20:29:15

DS started a bit of solids about 2 weeks ago, he's 26 weeks and we are doing BLW. He loves the food and was chomping bits off and swallowing them within a couple of days, nappies are veeerry interesting.

But he seems to have reduced his milk intake a lot and my breasts are really feeling it. Do I need to be concerned? am feeding as often as he'll let me, nappies are still wet but not as sopping as before. He is also showing signs of teething, and very nosy/distractable. Well in all other respects. I'm not giving any other fluids at all.

I do remember that when DD started solids she lost interest in milk but she was weaned on purees and was FF by then so bit different <<much more crunchy this time roundgrin>>

whomovedmychocolate Fri 19-Jun-09 20:43:18

It's absolutely possible he's not taking any less but feeding more efficiently and your boobs have got used to the amount he needs and no more - it happens about this time.

As long as he has wet nappies he's fine - as you say he has, you don't have to worry

In any case, as you probably already know, if you just wait a week, everything will change again and you'll be tackling yet another problem

moaningminnie2020 Fri 19-Jun-09 20:52:40

Part of me knows I should just trust him to take what he needs, I just can't help itblush - he is going longer between feeds (about 3 - 3.5 hrly now) and often needs persuading...

I think he is definately taking less as boobs were textbook fairly soft/comfy except for fullness first thing in the morning, but verging on engorged for part of the day now and a return to wet tshirts/leaking.

But I'm offering often, I can't make him feed I suppose, hopefully I will adjust in a few days?

whomovedmychocolate Fri 19-Jun-09 21:03:18

Yep he will if he needs to but every four to five hours is normal at this age

moaningminnie2020 Fri 19-Jun-09 21:56:02

Oh good, I thought/hoped that would be the case but I just wanted to check, thanksgrin

doulalc Fri 19-Jun-09 21:57:34

Be sure to let him have his fill at the breast before offering the solids at a feed. As was said, your body and he will both be adjusting to the changes in demand.

moaningminnie2020 Fri 19-Jun-09 22:19:28

I have been generally offering the solids about half an hr to an hour after BF, mostly because I tend to feed him then sort out the lunch/tea whatever. DD (2.3)is especially noisy and he often lets go to crane his head round and look at her/laugh, he has fed nicely a couple of times this evening while DH could look after DD and we could go somewhere quieter...

Partly seems a big change because he was feeding very often before, about every 1.5 hrs in the day but sleeping fairly well at night, nights haven't changed much and I would expect he might wake more to catch up at night if he wasn't taking enough in the day? He's very content in general

Grendle Fri 19-Jun-09 22:39:37

I agree you might want to consider offering breast first, then solids. How many times a day are you offering solids and how much? Breast milk should be the main source of nutrition up to 12 months, so there's no need to rush introducing 3 full meals a day smile. If you're getting engorged then this could be your body telling you things are going a little too fast perhaps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now