Talk

Advanced search

Painkillers when BF - PLEASE tell me I can have something better than the paracetamol?

(29 Posts)
JennyPenny22 Fri 19-Jun-09 14:42:36

I have agonising tooth ache. Its getting sorted on Tuesday but in the mean time I am in too much pain. Paracetamol helps but seems to wear off about 1.5 hours after taking it which is no good when you only take it every 4.

Please tell me I can take something else? Either as well as or instead of?

TheBreastmilksOnMe Fri 19-Jun-09 14:44:55

You can take Ibuprofen whilst Bf and to help with the toothache you can alternate the paracetamol and Ibuprofen every 2 hours.

MamaG Fri 19-Jun-09 14:48:09

Yes, Ibuprofen - its better than paracetamol for toothache too

JennyPenny22 Fri 19-Jun-09 14:56:56

THANK YOU!

JennyPenny22 Fri 19-Jun-09 15:20:31

ARGH, don't have any in the house - do you think a petrol station will sell them? I am in too much pain to drive but could walk to the petrol station when DD2 wakes up?!

MamaG Fri 19-Jun-09 15:21:32

yes they will

treedelivery Fri 19-Jun-09 15:25:45

Hi Jenny - I have tonsilitis and am freely using co codamol [which is paracetamol and codein] and brufen. Petrol station will have some brufen type drug for you. I won't co sleep whilst taking them though.

Get well soon!

JennyPenny22 Fri 19-Jun-09 15:37:02

tree - I have some of those somewhere and cant find them anywhere sad. May sound silly, but can I take DDs kids, liquid ibuprofen to save me going to the petrol station? I feel sick/dizzy with the pain and getting 2 under 18 month down there is the last thing I want to do TBH but I NEED to take something!

Grendle Fri 19-Jun-09 15:54:31

Ibuprofen is fine smile. More caution should be exercised with codeine. See here.

JennyPenny22 Fri 19-Jun-09 15:59:32

IS Anadin a definate no-no? What about if I gave her bottles of EBM for a few hours? I have a large stash of EBM in the freezer. Have taken ibuprofen now but still in lots of pain. Can't concentrate on the kids properly with this pain. Luckily DD1 is watching tellitubbies and DD2 is asleep but it won't last. sad

treedelivery Fri 19-Jun-09 16:02:28

You need a dentist Mrs.

JennyPenny22 Fri 19-Jun-09 16:05:12

I am having root canal treatment on tuesday sad. Am being put out for it.

treedelivery Fri 19-Jun-09 16:07:52

Lordy. If you plead they could see you and give you a longer term numbing thing. I needed one the Tuesday before my Sat wedding.

JennyPenny22 Fri 19-Jun-09 16:09:31

What is it? An injection? Am in tears now and DD is getting fed up of me not playing with her.

treedelivery Fri 19-Jun-09 16:10:03

I had an injection - it was great! Ring and plead!

treedelivery Fri 19-Jun-09 16:10:48

I had an injection - not painfull, just pressure. It worked a treat.

JennyPenny22 Fri 19-Jun-09 16:16:37

TBH though - even if they say they could do it today, I don't think I could go on my own. The dentist is up 2 flights of stairs, I would have dd1 - 17 months and dd2 - 8 weeks with me so don't even know how I would get them both up the stairs on my own, let alone have the treatment done with them hanging round.

Have been using DDs teething powder which seems to help - for about 5 mins!

I have been waiting for the treatment for months as they wouldn't do it when I was pregnant, then I went overdue which messed up my first appointment, then they cancelled my second one, then luckily I got the one on tuesday as a cancellation. I haven't been in this much pain the whole time though. It was very painful at one point, but after about 24 hours it went - so was hoping this would do the same but this has been here since wednesday so far (on and off)

treedelivery Fri 19-Jun-09 16:22:49

Its a pita - but having lived through a root dying whilst on my hen do, I'd get an appointment and take the whole jolly lot of them!

I'd call the receptionist to help carry kids, and let them sit on your knee. It can't be helped. I had a transvaginal scan whilst bf - anything is possible.

Less dramatic - have you tried brushing the tooth really hard? It can confuse the nerves a bit. Poor you sad

zeke Fri 19-Jun-09 18:26:17

OH NO! I'm so sorry you are in so much pain.

I had bad toothache over the weekend a few months back (needed a root canal) - the good news was that the pain had completely gone by the time I got the see the dentist (the nerve had died). Hopefully, yours will 'die' too well before Tuesday! It also meant that I didn't need any in jections for the root canal treatment.

I found that brushing my teeth (lots helped) and rinsing my mouth with mouthwash. When the pain really flared up I just brushed my teeth constantly.

I think you have had good advice about the pain relief you can take.

Honestly though, if you are in so much pain I would ring and plead for pain relief on the grounds that you are BFing, have two small children and just cannot cope.

JennyPenny22 Fri 19-Jun-09 19:33:12

Well just an update. There has been a huge gas explosion at the end of my road so can't go anywhere anyway as we are blocked in!

goingnowherefast Fri 19-Jun-09 20:14:03

can't you take volterol when bf? I had this after my c section.
Hope it gets sorted for you soon. Sounds awful.

Grendle Fri 19-Jun-09 22:36:53

Hope you are OK sad. It sounds awful (both the tooth and the explosion).

Here's the lowdown on painkillers which should answer your Q about anadin. If you mean aspirin, then that's not OK when bf, but anadin also make paracetamol.

JennyPenny22 Wed 24-Jun-09 16:39:47

I had the treatment yesterday - and they have bloody bodged it up! I still have a big hole in my tooth and in more pain than ever! Am so gutted sad

Grendle Wed 24-Jun-09 17:51:45

Oh no! That sounds awful sad. What is the plan now?

JennyPenny22 Wed 24-Jun-09 19:14:06

I am going back tomorrow for a "check up" - not even getting it done tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now