Talk

Advanced search

What should I avoid eating when breastfeeding and what about booze?

(10 Posts)
parsleymad Fri 19-Jun-09 14:26:07

Hi
Just gave birth yesterday to my 3rd but can't remember all the things you shouldn't eat in case they make the baby windy/uncomfortable. And what about a glass of wine?

TheBreastmilksOnMe Fri 19-Jun-09 14:29:50

You shouldn't have to give up anything whilst BF and alcohol is fine in moderation. Only very few babies are senistive to their mother's diet.

Congratulations on your baby!

charitygirl Fri 19-Jun-09 14:30:16

I'm 99.9% sure that no food has ever been proven to cause a baby wind or anything else like that via breastmilk. I'm sure someone else will confirm. You might decide your baby reacts to cetain things but there are no general rules.

As for booze...I've bf DS sober, I've bf him after a glass or two, and I've bf him after many glasses (e.g. weddings). It seems to make absolutely no difference at all. So, a glass will be fine I'm sure!

Congratulations!

TheBreastmilksOnMe Fri 19-Jun-09 14:31:14

Alcohol only lasts as long in your breastmilk as it does in your blood so their is no need to 'pump and dump' and only tiny amounts pass into your milk anyway. I doubt you will be planning on a huge bender so the odd glass of wine will be fine.

TheMysticMasseuse Fri 19-Jun-09 14:32:30

parsley congratulations!

i only have 2 so not an expert- however my first was very gassy and colicky, i avoided all green leafy veg, lentils, sparkling water, garlic etc. made no difference. with dd2 i ate everything and even drank the odd glass of wine, and she was never upset. if i were you i'd just wait and see if you've got a gassy baby, you may not need to deprive yourself of anything!

AbricotsSecs Fri 19-Jun-09 14:36:36

Message withdrawn

parsleymad Fri 19-Jun-09 20:19:08

Thanks so much all of you, you are all so encouraging!!

FrumpyPumpy Fri 19-Jun-09 21:40:09

I have had to stop eating chilli (well, it was a lot, and every day) and DS has stopped having such painful farts. blush

doulalc Fri 19-Jun-09 21:53:28

There is nothing you have to avoid while breastfeeding....unlike the recommendations in pregnancy. Some babies will be more sensitive to some foods but it will simply be a trial and error process. If you feel something might be bothering your baby, eliminate it, or at least cut back on it, and see if it makes any difference.
The occasional drink is fine...if it causes you concern, you can always feed baby before you have the drink.

MamaHobgoblin Fri 19-Jun-09 23:03:48

Recent thinking about colic in babies (Chloe Fisher) suggests that colicky behaviour is far more to do with latch and other physical breastfeeding issues than anything you're eating, and she sees no link between the hoary old 'culprits' of tomatoes, onions, cabbage etc, and painful wind and colicky behaviour in babies.

Personally, I never noticed a difference in response from DS when I ate various things - he was (is) a milk monster regardless! grin I do drink a little in the evenings - a few units a week, spread out very leanly. It leaves the milk at the same rate it leaves the bloodstream - approximately one unit per hour. And the amount is pretty negligible, as TBOM said earlier.

Enjoy feeding your new baby! envy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now