Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding help please - Post Op feeding of a wiggly 9 month old.....

(18 Posts)
Marthasmama Fri 19-Jun-09 07:30:10

I am due to have major surgery in on my abdomen in a month's time. It will mean a five day stay in hospital and recovery time will be 8 weeks. During the recovery I will not be able to lift anything heavy (my dd is a big girl wink)! I am currently still bfing dd and plan to continue to do so. I have a large stock of frozen EBM which will be good until the end of August so DH should have enough to last him through my hospital stay. I am seeking clarification about the hospital's policy on babies visiting as the consultant said that babies were not allowed on the ward. I'm not sure if he meant not allowed to stay (not a baby friendly hospital) on the ward or just generally not allowed.

My main concern at the moment is about feeding postions once I am home. DD is very wiggly and difficult to feed at the moment as she wants to sit up, roll over, look around, anything except lie down and concentrate on feeding. I am not going to be able to handle her while recovering and will not be very mobile. If I try to feed her lying down, she enjoys kicking my in the stomach, which is not something I would be happy about after surgery. wink Does anybody have any suggestions/ideas for me?

TIA.

flamingobingo Fri 19-Jun-09 07:45:19

Try feeding her lying down on your side with her kneeling facing you and feeding on your uppermost boob.

Marthasmama Fri 19-Jun-09 11:30:04

Thank you flamingo, I'll probably test that one out before I go into hospital. Anyone else have any ideas?

Marthasmama Fri 19-Jun-09 13:02:30

Bump - I could end up with a very hungry baby!

Marthasmama Fri 19-Jun-09 18:31:49

Bump again for more ideas please if they're out there.....

EldonAve Fri 19-Jun-09 18:34:55

Carry on expressing?

Juwesm Fri 19-Jun-09 18:39:25

Hey MM - figured this was you! I have seen a picture of someone feeding over-the-shoulder. So, you lying flat on back with M lying on her front over your shoulder from 'above' you - if you were standing up she'd be hanging upside down. Does that make sense?

I've never heard that babies aren't allowed on the wards at all, btw. I think he must have meant not allowed to stay. Do you know if you'll be on Ocelot? You could phone up and check with the ward manager.

Juwesm Fri 19-Jun-09 19:29:00

Evening bump before the wine kicks in!

CMOTdibbler Fri 19-Jun-09 20:26:17

Put a pillow between your tummy and her and feed lying down.

Or lie on your back, and have her diagonally onto you

Juwesm Fri 19-Jun-09 20:37:13

<<Hijack, which also bumps>>

Dibbler, how were your muffins?

Marthasmama Fri 19-Jun-09 21:04:23

Eldon - I don't think that I could carry on expressing for 8 weeks as I have never really got on very well with pumps. Plus, dd won't take a bottle so dh is probably going to have to help her cup feed.

Thanks Juw - If I can carry that one off I might have a new career in the circus! wink

Dribbler - I have tried the second one in the past and it went pretty well (dd was being a pickle and wanted to look out the window whilst feeding hmm), she even nodded off!

Tsk Juw, mentioning cake........

Juwesm Fri 19-Jun-09 21:12:28

Was "Dribbler" deliberate? grin

They were savoury muffins, so not too cakey!

CMOTdibbler Fri 19-Jun-09 21:17:33

They were lovely thanks - DS really enjoyed making them, and I didn't feel bad about scoffing them grin

Marthasmama Fri 19-Jun-09 21:47:16

Oops! No I think I must have corrected it because spell check told me to! Sorry dibbler!! Savoury muffins eh? That's ok then.

Marthasmama Sun 21-Jun-09 13:40:00

Bump again for more ideas..... with diagrams if possible. wink Thank you.

mears Sun 21-Jun-09 13:49:14

You have a right to continue breastfeeding your baby while you are in hospital if you want. You should be able to hve her in for some feeds if that is your preference. Perhaps lying down for feeds with a flat pillow in front of your tummy for protection may be good.

What type of scar are you expecting to have?

Have you considered a breastfeeding necklace to grab her attention too?

You will probably find that your baby will sense your need for less wiggliness and be less of a problem than you think.

Marthasmama Sun 21-Jun-09 13:53:54

Thanks mears. I have been told it will probably be a midline scar. I hope she does chill out, she is very wiggly and kicky.

Juwesm Sun 21-Jun-09 14:12:28

Wiggly baby bump smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now