Talk

Advanced search

periods while bf

(21 Posts)
bessie26 Thu 18-Jun-09 22:58:11

Does anyone know if your periods return to "normal" while your still bf, or if they take a while to settle-down?

I had irregular periods before conceiving (which I sorted out with acupuncture). DD is now 8 months old, and so far I've had one period, about 7 weeks ago.

I was hoping that I'd magically get a nice regular 4 week cycle when they resumed, but perhaps they've just returned to my own version of "normal" ?

thumbwitch Thu 18-Jun-09 23:06:23

Mine came back after about 6m, I think (God, brain of soft cheese, I can't actually remember when they re-started!blush) and went back to being "normal" after about the 2nd one. I have a pretty regular 28-30 day cycle though.

I doubt you'll get the sort of change in regularity you were hoping for though - that is your body's natural rhythm and is unlikely to change that much!

zeke Fri 19-Jun-09 10:07:36

Mine came back at 4mths (despite exclusively breastfeeding) and were very regular (28 days), but then again they were regular before (but I think my cycle was slightly longer?)

4andnotout Fri 19-Jun-09 10:14:00

My dd4 is nearly 8 months and i haven't had a proper period yet, bit gutting really as we want to ttc again soon.

motherlovebone Fri 19-Jun-09 10:16:57

4 you can still get pregs i think?
eat lots!

bohemianbint Fri 19-Jun-09 10:17:26

shit, 10m and still no sign - is that normal?! Came back after about 5 months the first time, I think...

glaskham Fri 19-Jun-09 10:24:25

Was about 6mths with DC1, 8mths with DC2, and with DC3 was at 7wks as was made to give soem formula which made them return.... though i had 2 periods and not had one since... its been about 6wks since my last period and i'm normally a 28day girl.... hmm

Tatties Fri 19-Jun-09 10:34:54

Mine came back after 12 months (was still bf)
I think they went back to regular 4 week cycles after about 2 periods. They started off being 8-6 weeks apart for a couple of cycles then returned to normal.

thumbwitch Fri 19-Jun-09 10:35:16

my HV told me it was "normal" to wait up to a year for them to return and only to start questioning after the year had gone by.

bessie26 Fri 19-Jun-09 14:12:06

thanks for that... we're hoping to start ttc in a few months time, but I'll try to wait until I've had a couple more periods before running off to see the acupuncturist again!

SOLOisMeredithGrey Fri 19-Jun-09 14:25:40

Mine came back when both of my Dc's were 6 weeks.

AlexandraPeppernose Fri 19-Jun-09 17:43:08

Mine returned when dd was 6 wks despite exclusively b/f, then I had 5 days free before coming on again. Was very annoying

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sat 20-Jun-09 00:20:38

Yes and I too was exclusively bfing...very annoying indeed AP.

PortAndLemon Sat 20-Jun-09 00:42:14

Came back after 9 months with DS, perfectly regularly 30-31 days. Not until 12-13 months with DD and have been 34-35 days so far. DS night-weaned earlier than DD (who still hasn't quite managed it) though.

lowrib Sat 20-Jun-09 01:31:50

bohemianbint 10 months - I am jealous! envy

Mine came back at 5. I was hoping for a lot longer.

bohemianbint Sat 20-Jun-09 08:04:39

I'm a bit worried about it to be honest! Not that I'm dying to dig the mooncup out or anything, just seems like a very long time!

AmIDoingThisRight Sat 20-Jun-09 10:36:12

Crikey - mine still haven't returned after 16 months. Nothing at all - nadda. BF twice a day: first thing in the morning and at bedtime. Is this a record? I put it down to the fact that they should come back when I completely stopped, but they were fairly erratic before (acupuncture helped massively though).

Wanted to stop when DS wanted to, am not so sure now though. [Slightly worried but hoping all is well emoticon]

duchesse Sat 20-Jun-09 10:45:37

First child- still had not returned at 12 months. I got pregnant with no periods between child 1 and child 2 (21 months between them). Was still bf but he'd been on solids as well since 5.5 months.

Child 2, came back after 6 months- she was a fully bf very snacky feeder (5 min tops per feed).

child 3, honestly cannot remember. Seem to remember was sooner than I'd have liked though (7 or 8 months?). Was fully bf till 8.5 months.

NancysGarden Sat 20-Jun-09 10:52:07

I had my first period exactly 4 weeks after giving birth! (so just as the post-birth bleeding abated, and yes it took a while, period started! Ain't life grand?)

PresidentTaylor Sat 20-Jun-09 10:55:01

Mine have never come back whilst I have been bf, and bfed DCs 1&2 for over a year. DC1 was about 17 months when I finished feeding him, and even when down to 1 feed a day they didn't come back. Same with DC2 (though bfed her for a bit less, maybe 15 months). DC3 nearly 1 now and still bfeeding; still no periods.

My periods were v regular 28 day cycles before DCs.

TabithaTwitchet Sat 20-Jun-09 14:17:21

Mine came back at 11 months, couple of "months" of v long cycles, then back to how they had been before I got pregnant (ie somewhat erratic and tricky to predict )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now