Talk

Advanced search

Help new baby not feeding

(11 Posts)
Flower3545 Thu 18-Jun-09 18:01:16

I brought a new baby home from hospital yesterday. She was born at 8am and I got her home at 4pm.

According to the nurse she had tried feeding her but she didn't seem interested "so she may need feeding once you get home"

That was over 24 hours ago and she is still showing no interest in the bottle. In fact she gags when the milk touches her lips/mouth.

I've tried different teats ie newborn and 3 month ones with no luck. She isn't distressed at all seems alert etc and she was a good weight so when should I worry ie call midwife back.

She called first thing this morning and didn't seem concerned at all.

Jojay Thu 18-Jun-09 18:04:33

When Ds1 was born they started doing blood sugar tests etc once he'd been born 36 hrs and still haven't fed.

No idea if this is standard practice or not.

He was fine btw but was a sleepy baby and not that intersted in food for the first couple of weeks.

Can you phone a midwife or the hospital ward and ask their opinion?

Jojay Thu 18-Jun-09 18:05:14

Forgot to say congratulations!

Lulumama Thu 18-Jun-09 18:05:30

ok, have you tried skin to skin? i know you are not her birth mother, but being close to a warm bosom can be v v encouraging

is she v sleepy? did the mother have many drugs during the labour that might have made the baby sleepy and slow to feed>

you could try cup feeding her formula from a sterilised bottle lid, let her lap the formula from there if sucking does not appeal.

has she passed any meconium?

was the birth quick> if she is v v mucousy she mgith be full of goo and not ready to feed.

Lulumama Thu 18-Jun-09 18:06:27

i would call back the MW anyway actually as it has been well over 24 hours now, just to keep them posted too

Flower3545 Thu 18-Jun-09 18:10:47

She sounds quite mucousy Lulu now that you mention it. I don't, obviously, know a lot about her birth except labour was between 9-10 hours and around 2 hours before birth her mum was given an epidural. I don't know if she had anything before this but I would presume she did.

She has passed at least 4 black poos.

I will give skin to skin a go again, I tried it through the night and also the lapping might be worth a try.

Thank you.
Thanks for the congrats Jojay but I'm her foster carersmile

Flower3545 Thu 18-Jun-09 18:12:20

The midwife who called this am said she'd call tomorrow first thing as I seemed worried about feeding, so I should call them now you think and not wait til morning?

Lulumama Thu 18-Jun-09 18:13:24

ok, sounds like she is a bit tired and full of goo. try the lapping and skin to skin. don;t be afraid to call MW back for advice.

Flower3545 Thu 18-Jun-09 18:16:20

Ok thanks Lulu, will do.

Flower3545 Fri 19-Jun-09 13:28:36

Quick update, lo began feeding a lot better last night, still taking a while to get her to take the teat but I found using the little bottle the hospital gave me of ready made milk (as I didn't have any ready at home) worked much better.

On the downside I only have one of them so I'll have to keep trying other bottles.

Lulumama Fri 19-Jun-09 16:19:08

taht is a good start. i am sre you will find a teat that suits, but you might need to find a few... good luck !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now