Talk

Advanced search

Technical question re using stored bm

(3 Posts)
hangoninthere Thu 18-Jun-09 08:21:30

Maybe tiktok or someone else knowledgable on the subject could educate me..

If bm changes in composition over time(age of nursing baby) how long will my frozen bm be appropriate for?

I'm going to see Take That next week, the first time I will've left 7wo dd. Will my 3 week old bm still be ok for her?

Also, just out of curiosity, how does tandem feeding work in respect to this? Does one boob make gentle easily digestible newborn milk and the other make condensed gold top shock

goingnowherefast Thu 18-Jun-09 09:09:06

I would say (not really expert but expressed exclusively for DD for a while and so researched it a lot) that it will be fine. Not quite as good as your bm now, from source, would be - (freezing it destroys some of the properties anyway) but still a lot better than giving formula.
Tandem feeding - no idea, but I would guess that the milk is tailored more to the newborn and the toddler has to put up with it wink
Have fun seeing Take that! apparently they are fantastic. My friend went on Tuesday.

zeke Thu 18-Jun-09 11:33:03

Yes, that would be fine.

I had loads of milk stored in the freezer (used to throw it out after 3 mths) but rarely used it as I prefered to give DS 'fresh' milk when I was going out (work etc). That would be the ideal really, but for a one-off like that it would make almost no difference.

Are you pumping some off still?

(p.s. don't forget to take you pump with you - I have been caught out with that and so has a friend, who ended up trying to hand express down a public toilet....!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now