Talk

Advanced search

Will this affect my supply - help please.

(5 Posts)
cfc Tue 16-Jun-09 23:46:15

I am away with my husband and baby visiting family.

I've brought the pump with me and have previously pumped twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. This will generally generate 300mls of BM which I freeze and I keep half and donate half.

However, as we've been away and buzzing around visiting people I've not expressed much and today when I did attempt it (after DS - 5.5 weeks - had fed admittedly) I only got a little bit off.

Will being away, stressed (as I am at the mo) and dropping these expressing sessions lower my supply?

If so, can I get it back to what it was?

I'll be pissed if I've donated half my milk and now a) don't have as much for DS and b) keep on donating.

Many thanks.

MamaG Tue 16-Jun-09 23:51:21

Is your DS just 5.5 weeks? And today is the first time the supply has dropped?

Hope I've got that right! I would stop expressing and jsut feed feed feed as much aspossible, then try to express again in a week or so

NotQuiteCockney Wed 17-Jun-09 08:19:40

I wouldn't worry. Your supply is clearly good, if you're managing to feed your baby and express so much.

If you go back to expressing regularly, your supply will go back up.

Well done for donating, and so much, from such an early start! Lots of SCBU babies must be really benefitting from you!

cfc Wed 17-Jun-09 16:34:42

Hello and thank you for your replies.

Yes, he is only 5.5 wks Mamag and this is the first time I've thought it's dropped, does it usually happen before this time?!

Anyway, I am home now and have got back into my own routine and home, feels nice!! So I got back to expressing a couple of hours after baby fed first thing and got the requisite amount off which is in the freezer now all labeled up ready for collection.

I suppose it was just being uprooted and feeding times changed etc. All is well now.

MamaG Wed 17-Jun-09 17:27:05

I'm so pleased cfc! Bet you feel much happier now. Well done on the expressing, I am rubbish at it and have never mastered the art

BabyG had a helluva growth spurt at 6 weeks and I was convinced I didn't have enough milk! Of course, I did.

Congrats on the baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now