Talk

Advanced search

Anyone BFing a baby under 6 months in North West/North Wales area? Donor milk urgently needed for milk bank

(26 Posts)
TotalChaos Tue 16-Jun-09 22:56:58

Apols. if I'm a bit vague on the details, this is a request via an NCT pal - but apparently the donor milk bank at Countess of Chester, serving Liverpool Women's Hospital amongst others is desperately in need of more donor ebm. The milk bank will collect from your house/deliver supplies of bottles etc to your house.

Contact details if anyone is interested:-

Human Milk Bank
Special Care Baby Unit
Countess of Chester Hospital
Liverpool Road
Chester
CH2 1UL
Telephone: 01244 366416

Email: info@chestermilkbank.org.uk

chestermilkbank.org.uk/contact.html

TotalChaos Wed 17-Jun-09 18:21:57

LadyOfWaffle Wed 17-Jun-09 18:24:02

Wish I could help... too far and mainly baby too old. I'll bump this from time to time for you

undomesticatedgoddess Wed 17-Jun-09 19:33:12

I live in Derbyshire and already donate to countess of chester. If there is any body near me who's interested it makes it more economical for them to collect from more than one donor for such a long journey.

If any body's interested it's not hard to do. I express while feeding on the other breast in the morning and then store it in the freezer until I've got enough for them to collect.

christie00 Wed 17-Jun-09 20:15:17

Just a heads-up - change in UKAMB guidelines means you can't donate anymore if you've had a blood transfusion...

DitaVonCheese Wed 17-Jun-09 21:32:03

Wish I could help too (I was born there ) but DD is nearly 9 months.

LadyOfWaffle Thu 18-Jun-09 15:09:05

dawntigga Sun 28-Jun-09 06:32:32

Waves to Total, the milk lady came yesterday and dropped off all the stuff.

I shall mostly be walking around expressing with a smug proud grin and building up my amounts of ebm

dxx

alex7715 Sun 28-Jun-09 18:03:10

how old does you baby have to be to donate xxxx

Grendle Sun 28-Jun-09 19:57:28

Alex -it's usually under 6 months when you start donating, but some units do have different policies. Best to get in touch and ask.

TotalChaos Sun 28-Jun-09 20:03:16

alex - agree with grendel - it's usually under 6 months, but no harm in doublechecking with the hospital.

dawntigga - you star! thank you so much for doing such a great thing smile

maygirl Sun 28-Jun-09 22:55:12

Oxford (John Radcliffe) let me START at 12 months and I donated until DS 16 months, though lady said longer would have been fine.

suwoo Sun 28-Jun-09 23:06:41

I find it really sad that you can't donate breast milk if you have had a blood transfusion. I knew you couldn't give blood but why not milk? Having a transfusion following a PPH after DD's birth has made me want to give blood even more.

Anyway, bump for the healthy people who aren't afflicted with all kinds of nasties hmm

dawntigga Mon 29-Jun-09 08:51:43

suwoo it has to do with cjd.

BTW I believe the cut off date for blood transfusions is 1980 but may be wrong.

dxx

Essie3 Mon 29-Jun-09 12:55:06

I'm in the area, had oversupply problem and pints of house white in the freezer, contacted them when DS was 7 months but they couldn't take it! Including the earlier stuff!
Still lactating, but he's 12 months now. Would they be desperate enough for my old milk? wink

TotalChaos Mon 29-Jun-09 13:53:53

that's a pity Essie that they wouldn't let you donate at 7 months. suwoo - I suppose they just have to be so so careful about everything unfortunately.

thanks for the info about the transfusions christie.

Grendle Mon 29-Jun-09 19:21:20

Essie -I think there's a Wirral milk bank as well. Would that be close enough to try? Sometimes milk banks collect from surprisingly far.

<googles>

Link

Essie3 Tue 30-Jun-09 22:09:38

Ooh, maybe there's hope! I so wanted to donate. I can't give blood and this was something I really wanted to do.
I'll definitely do it if I ever have another baby - apparently once a hyperlactator, always a hyperlactator! grin

Babieseverywhere Wed 01-Jul-09 09:29:36

I was rejected for having a blood transfusion just a couple of years ago. Despite tracking down my donor blood information and none of us break the rules of safety.

Shame the milk bank is so strict, as they need the milk so desperately.

QueenFee Mon 20-Jul-09 22:07:55

I used to donate and have just had another baby so will start again - however does anyone know if the blood transfusion thing also covers anti -d?

TotalChaos Mon 20-Jul-09 22:14:24

Thanks for reading and considering donating QueenFee. I suspect that anti-D would be classed as a blood product so may be an issue for donating unfortunately, but always worth calling or e-mailing the milk bank to check.

QueenFee Mon 20-Jul-09 22:36:13

Have done now smile

Grendle Tue 21-Jul-09 14:28:31

I had anti-D. No-one ever asked about it or mentioned it when I was a donor. What did they say?

QueenFee Tue 21-Jul-09 21:08:25

It is not a problem if you have had anti-d smile

Grendle Tue 21-Jul-09 23:20:02

Phew! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now